2 amp setup problem!

ibanezfaz

I have managed to get my set up working fine with just one amp in the set up. I am trying to add a second amp to use for my lead channel . The problem is that I cant get each amp working independently. The diagram in the manual doesn't seem to work for me. I want amp 1 to work when audio loop 5 is on and amp 2 to work when loop 6 is on. I Also have a G-Force in loop 7. Does anyone know how to make this work?

if you want to use the g-force with both amps, do it like this:
split the signal with the buffer. use buffer out and tuner out to send the signal to the inputs of both amps.
loop 5 input gets the signal from the send-out of amp A and loop 5 return gets the signal from send-out of amp B.
loop 5 output goes to input of loop 7 (your g-force) loop 7 out goes to loop 6 input
loop 6 send goes to amp B return jack and loop 6 out goes to amp A return jack
you´ll need a "shorted plug" in the return jack of loop 6!

when loop 5+6 is deactivated, your signal runs thru amp A
by activation loop 5+6, your signal is running thru amp B
by turning loop 7 on/off you can switch in/out your g-force

there are CC# for turning on two loops at a time. i do it like this at the moment.

note:
due to the reason, that the buffer and tuner out (both deliver the same signal) is not isolated from each other, you´ll get grounding hum!
use a line-isolator/transformer to stop this awful noise, e.g. from palmer or ebtech or lehle

Is there any chance you could put up some kind of diagram showing where all the leads go?
Also what is a shorted plug??

Here's a diagram showing how to hook up two amps. It doesn't include the effects processor in loop 7, but it's best to get this working and add the processor later.

Attachments

• RG-16_4Pedals_2Amps.pdf
    46.8 KB · Views: 344
here you go:

2%20amps%20mono%20with%20switchable%20effect.jpg

as you can see, i used loop6+7 for the amps and loop 8 for the TC, but that dosen´t matter.
the "blind" jack need not to be a shorted jack (solder the contact of tip to ground), you can use a normal plug (without any cable soldered to it).
if you don´t insert a plug into the return jack, the loop-input-signal will be feed to the loop-output jack. this means, that the amp connected to the output jack will always get a signal and you won´t be able to switch it of.
so insert a jack and everything will work as you want it - it´s nearly the same way as i do it at the moment. only difference is, that i use a Lehle P-split II for splitting the signal in front of the amps. the lehle has a isolated output for the second amp.
while using the buffer+tuner outs to feed the signal to both amp inputs, you will get grounding hum for sure.

I used the way RJM said and it worked so I stuck with that. May have a try at doing it your way in the future though just to see what happens. Just glad to finally have it working atm.

rjmmusic said:
Here's a diagram showing how to hook up two amps. It doesn't include the effects processor in loop 7, but it's best to get this working and add the processor later.
I followed your set up diagram and it works fine until I plug in my leads that go to the FX loop's on my amps. When the FX loop leads are in it put both amps in loop 5 instead of having them split in 5 and 6. To get the effects processor working for both heads im using a jack splitter to put both FX loops in loop 7 on the RG-16. I cant figure out why it is doing this.

Using a splitter cable like that won't work the way you want - you're feeding the output of the effects to the power amps of both amps. As you noted, the signal will always come out of both amps. (however, you're only using one preamp at a time - sometimes a useful configuration, sometimes not!)

Sharing an effects processor between two amps' effects loops is something I always discourage, but it can be done if you're careful (and if your amps' loops run at similar levels). I've attached a diagram of how to do it.

Attachments

• RG-16_Share4Wire-2Amp.pdf
    383 KB · Views: 234
Back