2 amps, and external preamp diagram???

VESmedic

Does anyone have a diagram for 2 amps, and an external preamp feeding one of the amps power section, and being able to switch between them? For instance:

AMP 1 and amp 2 together
amp 1 and amp 2s poweramp and external preamp together

Thats what I would like to be able to switch between. external preamp is an Engl E530 for reference. For reference, I use the 2 amp setup/4 pedals diagram that is on the main page. I guess I am just trying to find a way of inserting amp 2's preamp, and the external preamp in a loop, and being able to switch between them with amp 2s power amp. Thanks!

From the wiring diagram you have, feed the output that would be going to Amp 2 into the next loop (let's say loop 7 - it might be loop 11 if you are using the Effect Gizmo). Connect that loop's send to the Amp 2 input, and Amp 2's FX send into the loop's return. Then connect loop 7's output into the next loop (loop 8)'s input. Connect your preamp into loop 8 (send into preamp output, preamp output into return), and connect loop 8's output to Amp 2's FX return.

THEN: what you need to do is ensure you only have one or the other of loops 7 and 8 on. You can do this manually when you're setting up your presets, or you can link the loops together in Setup mode so only one or the other can be on. This is pretty clearly explained in the manual.

So, when loop 7 is on, loop 8 is off, and you're using the amp's preamp section.
When loop 8 is on, loop 7 is off, and you're using the external preamp.

Thanks for the help martin! I was thinking about adding a noisegate as well, such as the ISP decimator rack. The stereo version is over 530 bucks or something, so not sure I am going to go that route, however: If I bought the regular isp decimator rackmount, is there a way to get it to effect both amps when running through the RG-16? If my Amp 1 and 2 were in loop 5 and 6 for instance, if I put the decimator rack in loop 7, would it then effect both amps when on since it is coming after them in the chain?

I'd think so, although without seeing the whole rig drawn out I'd struggle to be certain (plus I'm really tired today so my brain's not working right :))

Back