5-7 pin Midi Cable

You can use it with a GT10 and probably a GT16, but it's a little lightweight for the GT22's current draw. The wires in the cable are very thin, which makes the cable have a higher resistance - in testing here, we could get the displays to black out if we turned on all of the displays with a white backlight. (The displays starting to fade to black is the first symptom of the GT not getting enough voltage).

If you're looking for a more sturdy version, Best-tronics could hand build you one with better quality wire. (www.btpa.com)

FYI the GT power supply doesn't fit into A/C adaptor for the Rocktron Cable.
I might try to see if the local electrical store has any adaptors. Real bummer as I waited 5 months for it to arrive (no wonder its so hard to get stuff in Australia)

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. The Rocktron cable must use a 2.5mm connector. We use 2.1mm. If you could find someone who builds cables, you could probably have them put the correct connector on the cable. Alternately, any 9-12V supply that can provide at least 2A and has a 2.5mm ID connector would work.

Thanks for letting us know - I'll make sure to let people know about this issue if anyone asks. Looks like Best-tronics is the only real choice for this kind of cable.

Also, for the record, I have a Rocktron 7 pin MIDI cable from a previous guitar rig. It's very thin and I don't feel that it's something I could rely on for my touring setup. I keep it in my stage box as an emergency backup, along with other items that I might need while onstage (see below). The cable I purchased from RJM is very high quality, and will definitely hold up to the rigors of stage use. I like to travel as light as possible - hence switching from the Fractal MFC-101 to the Mastermind GT10 - but I never want to risk a gig to unreliable gear.

So I got this cable, and everything works except for the tuner...
I'll probably end up getting one of the best-tronics cable in the future but I'm curious as to what caused the tuner not to work.

Could it be one of the pins is not wired correctly? I wouldn't know what information runs on each pin.

That is a strange symptom. Can you describe what are you experiencing? Is it the tuner on the AxeFX, or on the Mastermind GT? Is the tuner displaying properly, but not indicating pitch?

Pins 1 and 3 are the ones that carry data from the Axe-Fx to the GT.

Do any of the other biidrectional functions work? For example, do your effect IA buttons turn on and off automatically when you change Axe-Fx presets?

Some other things to check:

- On the Axe-Fx, in the IO / MIDI page, make sure Send Realtime Sysex is set to ALL
- On the GT, make sure MIDI Bidir (or Bidirectional MIDI in the editor) is turned on

Seems to be just the tuner with this new cable. I'll have to test if the other bidirectional functions work on the GT when I'm home later.

The tuner works with my other cable so I assume midi bidir must be on, but I'll also be sure to double check the settings.

If it works fine with another cable, then it pretty much has to be the new cable. I've seen 5 pin cables that don't have all five pins wired - standard MIDI only uses 3 pins, so they can skimp on the wires. I've never seen a 7-pin cable with less than 7 pins wired, but there's a first time for everything...

Okay thanks Ron, I'll have to take it back to the shop. Too bad that I had to order it in, and can't easily get it replaced.

Update: I checked the settings and all were as mentioned above. Then I tested the bidirectional and that doesn't work.

I will take it back.
I wouldn't recommend the rocktron cable, the best tronics seems the way to go if anyone else is looking.

I've read of similar experiences from other users of the Rocktron 7 pin cables. It's really worth the extra cost for a higher quality cable.

I got the Best-tronics 5-7 pin cable, soooooo much better.

In regards to having the GT powered through the cable, I've noticed that if I have the cable powering it and plug in the AC adaptor (just the connector without the wall plug so it's not actually powering it) that it cuts the power to the GT. Is this part of the design? I'm quite happy it does this as when it's at home I can use the plug as an on/off switch without having to unplug the midi cable each time.

My question is will this damage the my GT?

In regards to having the GT powered through the cable, I've noticed that if I have the cable powering it and plug in the AC adaptor (just the connector without the wall plug so it's not actually powering it) that it cuts the power to the GT. Is this part of the design? I'm quite happy it does this as when it's at home I can use the plug as an on/off switch without having to unplug the midi cable each time.

It shouldn't damage your GT, but it might damage one or both of your AC adaptors - you're basically connecting the output of one adapter to the output of the other. Not sure what that will do, long term.

It shouldn't damage your GT, but it might damage one or both of your AC adaptors - you're basically connecting the output of one adapter to the output of the other. Not sure what that will do, long term.
I might stick to the safe side and not do it.
Just a thought, I'd like to see a power switch added to the next rendition of the GT, might be handy :)

You can do it without any risk, but it must be only the connector, without any transformer attached to it. You can find such a plug at your local electronic supplier or cut one off of an old broken power supply. Be carefull that the wires are properly isolated if you cut one off.

You can do it without any risk, but it must be only the connector, without any transformer attached to it. You can find such a plug at your local electronic supplier or cut one off of an old broken power supply. Be carefull that the wires are properly isolated if you cut one off.

You can try it (it would be safe), but I'm pretty sure it won't work. I don't have the schematics in front of me, but I don't believe that the power jack is wired to switch off the incoming phantom power. I think that the unpowered adapter is shorting out the output of the active adapter, causing it to shut off.

Back