6X setup for Strymon Stereo Pedals

Chrysalis99

I’m sorry for being that guy and asking what’s probably a dumb question, (total newb to switching). I’m currently setting up a 6X and I want loops 4,5 & 6 to be stereo. Loop 4 would be Strymon Deco, Loop 5 Strymon ElCapistan and Loop 6 Strymon Blue Sky. All V2 stereo pedals. Is this right?

SND 4 - TRS Y-Cable to left/right on Deco. (Deco set to receive mono)
RTN 4 - TRS OUT on Deco to TRS RTN 4 (single TRS cable)
SND 5 - TRS Y-Cable to Left/right on ElCapistan (ElCap set to receive stereo)
RTN 5 - TRS OUT on ElCap to TRS RTN 5 (single cable)
SND 6 - TRS Y-Cable in to left/right on Blue Sky (Blue Sky set to receive Stereo)
RTN 6 - TRS OUT on Blue Sky to TRS RTN 6 (single TRS cable)

Then….TRS Y-Cable OUT of 6X to LEFT/RIGHT on Stereo Rig
  • In the editor I think I need to change the global output to stereo, is this correct?
  • Since loops 1-3 are mono do I need to set anything else in the editor so the mono loops send on both left/right of the Y cable out of the 6X?

You've got it reversed - the inputs on those pedals are TRS, the outputs are individual left/right. For each loop, the send cable should be TRS to the pedal's input. The return cable should be an insert cable to the left and right outputs.

I recommend setting the Deco to stereo as well as the other pedals. The PBC will deliver a pseudo-stereo signal to the Deco (same signal on both sides). Keeping everything set up for stereo will allow you to change the loop order and not lose any stereo separation if the Deco moves after the other stereo pedals.

DUH…i just wrote it wrong but I think I’ve got the connections properly in my head. Sometimes the transfer from the head to writing doesn’t always compute! LOL

Thanks, at least I’m on the right track.

Just another thought - you could also consider not even running them in loops 4-6, especially if you could use the extra space. You would lose the ability to reorder, and need some kind of midibox, but you would gain those 3 loops back by controlling everything via midi.

I run about 12 pedals off of my 6x by splitting splitting the insert loop and loops 4-6 along with midi. That includes a Julianna, Timeline and Big Sky running in stereo.

Yes, that’s a good idea. Initially I was thinking how I was going to fit everything in loops but I now realize they all don’t have to. It might just be the initial excitement of what the Mastermind can do but pedals with good MIDI control can sit outside the PBC audio chain and still be controlled. It takes a little more thought but the possibilities are still endless with how robust these Masterminds are.

Back