A few questions before purchase

Neill00

As the title suggests I am interested in purchasing a Mastermind GT/10 and am hoping I can get a few questions answered before I pull the trigger. First my proposed setup.

- iPad Pro 11” (USB C) running the BandHelper app connected via USB C to USB B cable to the Mastermind GT/10.

- 7Pin midi cable from Mastermind GT/10 Remote IN to Phantom power box 2 input.

- Midi in and midi out from the phantom power box to the midi out and mdi in of my Axe FX 3

- Midi thru from the Axe FX 3 to the midi in of my TC Helicon Voice Live Rack

1) My understanding is that the single 7pin cable running from the mastermind to the phantom box will power the mastermind and carry both midi in and out to between the mastermind and my axe fx 3. If this is incorrect please advise.

2) I got a basic answer regarding basic midi such as PC CC and perhaps Note being carried between the ipad and the mastermind over the USB cable. It would appear though that there would be no midi through. So as opposed to what I am doing now, I would have to have the presets in the Mastermind send any midi messages that I currently send direct from ipad to the axe and voice live rack and this could be done automatically upon selection of the preset.

3) Building on that, and this isn’t critical, I don’t suppose there is any power available at the USB to charge the ipad.

4) The mastermind can do everything that my FC-6 can do in regard to controlling the Axe FX 3, for example I want to toggle between scene 1 and scene 2 on a single footswitch and have the hold function bring me back to Scene 1 from any other scene. I would also toggle between scene 3 and 4 on another footswitch with the hold bringing me to Scene 3. I saw the video setting up with axe fx 3 but that setup scenes on individual footswitches as opposed to toggling 2 scenes on a single footswitch.

5) I think what is referred to as “layouts” on the FC-6 is “pages” in the mastermind? Anyway within a Page I would like to be able to have some footswitches dedicated to controlling the ipad, others dedicated to the voice live play and the rest for the Axe FX 3. I think this is elementary but I want to double check.

I know if I make the purchase I have a huge learning curve ahead of me despite the fact that there are lot of features designed to make it easy. The obstacles will be learning how to set it up with my specific gear. I am willing to put in the time when I have the device in front of me to learn how to set it up but I just want to confirm these things before I spend the money.

Ok, here are some answers:

- Yes, there will only need to be a single 7-pin cable from phantom power box to GT.
- If you turn on MIDI Merge on the GT, any messages coming from the iPad will be forwarded on to your MIDI devices.
- USB B ports don't provide power, so no charging is possible
- Yes, you can set up scene buttons as you describe
- Yes, all buttons are fully user configurable, any button can perform any function and control any devices you like

If you have any other questions, please let us know!

As the title suggests I am interested in purchasing a Mastermind GT/10 and am hoping I can get a few questions answered before I pull the trigger. First my proposed setup.

- iPad Pro 11” (USB C) running the BandHelper app connected via USB C to USB B cable to the Mastermind GT/10.

- 7Pin midi cable from Mastermind GT/10 Remote IN to Phantom power box 2 input.

- Midi in and midi out from the phantom power box to the midi out and mdi in of my Axe FX 3

- Midi thru from the Axe FX 3 to the midi in of my TC Helicon Voice Live Rack

1) My understanding is that the single 7pin cable running from the mastermind to the phantom box will power the mastermind and carry both midi in and out to between the mastermind and my axe fx 3. If this is incorrect please advise.

2) I got a basic answer regarding basic midi such as PC CC and perhaps Note being carried between the ipad and the mastermind over the USB cable. It would appear though that there would be no midi through. So as opposed to what I am doing now, I would have to have the presets in the Mastermind send any midi messages that I currently send direct from ipad to the axe and voice live rack and this could be done automatically upon selection of the preset.

3) Building on that, and this isn’t critical, I don’t suppose there is any power available at the USB to charge the ipad.

4) The mastermind can do everything that my FC-6 can do in regard to controlling the Axe FX 3, for example I want to toggle between scene 1 and scene 2 on a single footswitch and have the hold function bring me back to Scene 1 from any other scene. I would also toggle between scene 3 and 4 on another footswitch with the hold bringing me to Scene 3. I saw the video setting up with axe fx 3 but that setup scenes on individual footswitches as opposed to toggling 2 scenes on a single footswitch.

5) I think what is referred to as “layouts” on the FC-6 is “pages” in the mastermind? Anyway within a Page I would like to be able to have some footswitches dedicated to controlling the ipad, others dedicated to the voice live play and the rest for the Axe FX 3. I think this is elementary but I want to double check.

I know if I make the purchase I have a huge learning curve ahead of me despite the fact that there are lot of features designed to make it easy. The obstacles will be learning how to set it up with my specific gear. I am willing to put in the time when I have the device in front of me to learn how to set it up but I just want to confirm these things before I spend the money.

well that’s excellent ... the power the ipad really wasn’t an issue just thought it would be a cool extra. It sounds like this will be a more elegant and flexible way for me to operate. There is a distributor up here in Canada that I have been in contact with so I think I’m going to go ahead with the deal thanks again for the info. My posts moving forward will be how do you do this or that. I will do my best to learn from the manual... but I’m sure I’ll a few sticking points.

Back