A few stupid beginner questions about the GT22

austin

Got my GT22 a few days ago to use with my Axe FX II XL+ and I've been loving it so far. I've just about got it setup where I want it, but I'm having a few issues.

1) The clicking of the tap tempo is coming through my guitar pickups and being amplified. I know I can disable sysex for the tempo, but I like seeing the tempo button light up in time with whatever tempo is on the Axe. And I know I can set the GT22 to be the midi clock master, but when I do that it shows the tempo (which is distracting) and it doesn't pickup up the tempo from the Axe. This didn't happen with my MFC101 but I assume that is because I was using a Faslink connector that is better shielded for noise. Is there some brand of midi cable I can get that will keep this noise from coming through?

2) I'm using 3 pages. Each page has a footswitch setup for switching pages. The footswitch on page one goes to page 3 or page 2 with a hold. The footswitch on page 2 goes to page 1 or page 3 with a hold. The footswitch on page 3 goes to page 1 or page 2 with a hold. Everything is working fine, but visually, it's a bit weird. If I use the hold on page 1 to go to page 2, then when I go back to page 1, the bottom half of that button is highlighted and it stays highlighted until I turn the GT22 off (further holds on it will not unhighlight it). This only happens on page 1. On page 2 and page 3, the hold functions never becomes highlighted like this. All the buttons are setup the same way as momentary hold IA switches (in fact the button on page 1 is a copy of the button on page 3 with the primary action changed to go to page 3 instead of page 1). Is there something special I need to do to get the button on page 1 to "behave" itself?

3) Sometimes when I am banking down and I push the button quickly or hold it down, it goes right to bank 1. I haven't figured out the precise steps to reproduce it, but it's happened a few times and can be a nuisance when I trying to go down 4 or 5 banks from, say, bank 25 and instead end up all the way at the beginning.

4) Finally, I'm trying to setup a button as a "louder" button. I have it set on CC11 (output volume) and set to be 115 when off and 127 when on. I did the samething on my MFC101 and it would automatically engage in the off position when everything was turned on. However, the button doesn't function this way on the GT22. When I turn everything on, it is in the off state, but it doesn't seem to be sending this to the Axe; volume is full up (corresponding to the 127 on position). The only way to get to the lower standard volume is to engage the switch (which has no effect since volume is already full up) and then disengage it. Once I do that, everything works as expected and the lowered volume level is persistent among all the presets (as desired) until I need to get loud :)

These are all pretty minor issues, but I figure I should try to get everything as "right" as I can when I'm starting out. Possibly other folks have run into these issues, but some searches I did didn't turn up anything (though I did get a lot of other useful info on the GT series that I was able to put to good use).
-
Austin

An improperly shielded MIDI cable will definitely broadcast noise. In normal use, it isn't really noticeable, but when it's repeating over and over (tempo messages), then it becomes more evident. What kind of MIDI cable are you using? Are you using a phantom power box?

I found something recently that could cause momentary buttons to highlight when they aren't supposed to. It'll be fixed in the next release.

I haven't seen the "straight to bank 1" issue before - if you have any other information on how and when it happens, please let me know.

Regarding your "louder" button, make sure that Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change are turned on.

An improperly shielded MIDI cable will definitely broadcast noise. In normal use, it isn't really noticeable, but when it's repeating over and over (tempo messages), then it becomes more evident. What kind of MIDI cable are you using? Are you using a phantom power box?

I'm not using a phantom power box; just the including AC Adapter to a powerstrip and the midi cable to the Axe FX. The midi cable is some cheap and cheesy number of undetermined origin. It's the longest one I have right now which is why I'm using it. I have a couple that look like they are higher quality, but are only a few feet long. I guess I'll set the GT on top of the Axe FX and hook them up with a short cable just to test out the noise factor. Assuming that resolves things, I'll just get a Best-tronics midi cable and I should be fine.

I found something recently that could cause momentary buttons to highlight when they aren't supposed to. It'll be fixed in the next release.
Cool, thanks.

I haven't seen the "straight to bank 1" issue before - if you have any other information on how and when it happens, please let me know.
I'll see if maybe I can reproduce it. Although, now that I have discovered the Preset# function, my days of heavy bank switch usage are probably over :D

Regarding your "louder" button, make sure that Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change are turned on.
I'm fairly certain I tried every combination of those buttons and it didn't make a difference, but I will try again to make sure. Does the GT send any signals to the Axe FX when the GT is first turned on or does it just read information from it. Because I think this will only work if the GT sends out the off state of the button when it is first powered up.

Thanks for the assistance!
-
Austin

The GT does send the messages from the first preset when it powers up. Maybe the GT powers up faster than the Axe-Fx and the Axe-Fx isn't ready to receive the messages? (Are you powering them both up at the same time?)

The GT does send the messages from the first preset when it powers up. Maybe the GT powers up faster than the Axe-Fx and the Axe-Fx isn't ready to receive the messages? (Are you powering them both up at the same time?)
I've been powering up the Axe first and then the GT. I have it set to start up on last preset; I don't know if that would have an effect or not though.
-
Austin

That should prevent any issues with the Axe-Fx start up time. Does the "louder" button work when you switch presets, setting the volume to the desired level?

That should prevent any issues with the Axe-Fx start up time. Does the "louder" button work when you switch presets, setting the volume to the desired level?

I enabled Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change on the "Louder" button, but it's still behaving the same way. When I turn the GT on, the display shows it is in the off state, which should correspond to lower volume. The actual volume is full. If I switch presets, it stays at full. The only way to change it is to tap it once to turn it on (which has no audible effect since the volume is already full) and then tap it to turn it off. At that point the volume lowers. The output volume parameter is global setting on the Axe, not a per-preset thing, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I also have more information on the banking issue. If I turn on the GT on, the first time I press bank down (after turning the unit on), it will go to Bank 1, regardless of what current bank I'm on. The Bank Up button works normally. After the first time this happens, subsequent usage of the Bank Up button is normal. I've tried using IA switches, changing to a different preset in the current bank, and going to a preset in a later bank using Bank Up. Regardless, the first time I use Bank Down, it goes to bank 1. The Bank Up and Bank Down switches are programmed the same as far as I can see (other than one being Bank Up and one being Bank Down of course :D)
-
Austin

Can you send me your settings? I can try them here and see what happens.

I'll look into the Bank Down issue - thanks for tracking that down, it should be much easier to find and fix now.

I'll look into the Bank Down issue - thanks for tracking that down, it should be much easier to find and fix now.

Sure, here you go. I should mention that whenever I open the config file it always has "Start up on last preset" unchecked. I always check it before sending it and then save it, but when I open it it is unchecked again. This isn't a problem for me, but you should make sure you have "Start up on last preset" enabled on the GT just in case that has something do do with the issue. Thanks alot.
-
Austin

Attachments

• AQ Axe FX Config.rjs
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Oh, and I should mention that I have the low volume level for the "louder" button set to a stupid-low level, just for troubleshooting purposes. I usually have the off level around 112 and the on level all the way up at 127, but I wanted something drastic so it would be easy to tell what it was doing.
-
Austin

Update on the sysex tempo bleed through. I changed the ways the cables were running (not for this reason, I was just cleaning thing up a bit) and now the clicking noise is totally gone. Nice!
-
Austin

The "Louder" button issue has been resolved! It was right in the online manual, Devices Tab page (http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki/index.php?title=Devices_Tab)

Specifically:
Send CCs on preset change - When checked, any IA buttons that control this device are allowed to send their MIDI messages to the device automatically when you change presets. Please note that the IA buttons have to have Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change turned on for this to work. When this setting is turned off, the IA buttons will only send their messages to this device when the IA buttons are actually pressed.

So, even though I had "Send on Preset Change" and "Update on Preset Change" selected in the Button Edit tab, they weren't doing anything because I didn't have "Send CCs on preset change" selected in the Devices tab. A bit confusing since this isn't mentioned anywhere on the Button Edit Page (http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki/index.php?title=Button_Edit_Page_). But at any rate, after checking that box and unchecking "Update on Preset Change" (so that only "Send on Preset Change" is selected in the Button Edit Tab), it is working perfectly. I turn on the GT22 and the volume is automatically lowered to the "LOUDER" off level. Then I can raise it by pressing the button and it remains raised even through preset changes, until I press it again to turn it off.

The other two minor issues I raised are bug fixes I believe, so I'm all set!
-
Austin

Last edited:

Im having this Bank Down issue also... It's been fine for a long time it just started recently....

I have the bank down issue too. It seemed intermittent but now that you say it only happens one the first time you hit it, that seems right. It actually made me think that it could be made into a feature- holding the button down would automatically switch to a default preset that could be set in the options. I remember reading something in the manual that may already be possible though.

I have the bank down issue too. It seemed intermittent but now that you say it only happens one the first time you hit it, that seems right. It actually made me think that it could be made into a feature- holding the button down would automatically switch to a default preset that could be set in the options. I remember reading something in the manual that may already be possible though.

For me, the banking issue was fixed with the latest firmware update. So if you don't have that, try installing it.
-
Austin

Back