A note about Axe-Fx III support

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more question - so I am not familiar with slave mode as my GT was always used as a regular controller for my Axe 1 and 2. When I switch the preset, is there a way for the Axe to send messages to tell the GT what IA's should be active and which are bypassed? For instance, when I switch from preset 1 to preset 2, is there a way for the Axe to show Drive 1 is now bypassed? Or is that not possible yet?

One more question - so I am not familiar with slave mode as my GT was always used as a regular controller for my Axe 1 and 2. When I switch the preset, is there a way for the Axe to send messages to tell the GT what IA's should be active and which are bypassed? For instance, when I switch from preset 1 to preset 2, is there a way for the Axe to show Drive 1 is now bypassed? Or is that not possible yet?

No, there isn't any way to do that yet, there's no communication from the Axe-Fx back to the GT at all. What I described in the previous email is the only way to make it work - pre-program your buttons on the GT so that the button states in the GT match the effect block states in the Axe-Fx.

I have no doubt you will get it working as soon as possible. Please people, let Ron work (he has lots of other things too) as he patiently waits for the information needed to even BEGIN to modify coding and write new software. He WILL release an update to the firmware of the GT line AS SOON AS he is able. Until then, what Ron is trying to say is.... THE MMGT DOES NOT SUPPORT THE AXE FX III (beyond basic midi) YET! The mmgt is an epic midi device, so you can still use it as such. The limitations are only because Ron hasnt gotten the coding from CLIFF! This is in Cliff's ballpark atm. I am waiting on getting an AXE III, but haven't regretted getting the mmgt16 yet. I would suggest that you Axe III users, treat the device as a basic midi device for now, and just know it will get MUCH better soon. Frankly, Im more curious about how the AxeIII programming is going to work in itself. The mmgt.. ha, i worry more about cables failing. Fwiw, the mmgt will run off a nifty battery.

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes

Added “SSB Upper” and “SSB Lower” types to Ring Modulator block. These select the upper and lowersidebands of the modulation, respectively.

Added single-sideband ring modulators to Multidelay block. These can be used to create strange and interesting echo sounds. To defeat the modulators turn Master Ring Mod Mix to 0.

Added chorusing to individual delay lines in Multidelay block. There are four LFOs, one for each delay line. The rate and depth of each LFO is individually adjustable. These add to the main LFOs which modulate each delay line at the same frequency but different phases. By using short delay times the Multidelay block can now act as four parallel choruses, each with independent rate and depth.

Added Quad-Tap Band Delay type to Multidelay block. This type has the same configuration as the Quad-Tap delay except the filters are outside the feedback paths.

Added band highlighting to RTA block. Turn Value knob to select desired band. The frequency of the selected band is displayed in the upper left corner.

Changed preset recall behavior if Ignore Redundant PC is on. If Ignore Redundant PC is on and the desired scene (set via PC mapping) is different than the current scene the preset is not loaded but the scene IS changed.

Added MIDI support for 3rd-party devices to set and/or get scene, channel, bypass, scene names and preset name via System Exclusive messages. See the Axe-Fx III MIDI for Third-Party Devices document for implementation details.

Fixed Barberpole type in Phaser block broken.
Fixed no preset loading on startup if Ignore Redundant PC is on. Various changes and fixes for FC controllers.

Reactions: Jop
Added midi support for third parts devices

!!!!!!!

Attachments

• E740F39A-0A4A-4C0B-8CEA-0C93AD747458.jpeg
    E740F39A-0A4A-4C0B-8CEA-0C93AD747458.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 15
I posted this in another thread, but here it is again, in this sticky thread:

I've been in touch with Cliff today. This is likely all we're going to see for months, they just don't have the time to document the full protocol (and to make sure it's robust enough for public use). I'm asking him for a few more features in this lesser MIDI spec, to bring it in line with the Axe-Fx 2's level of support (while still including new things like channels and scene names). I plan on running with this spec and getting the most out of it, no sense waiting for the other spec.

I posted this in another thread, but here it is again, in this sticky thread:

I've been in touch with Cliff today. This is likely all we're going to see for months, they just don't have the time to document the full protocol (and to make sure it's robust enough for public use). I'm asking him for a few more features in this lesser MIDI spec, to bring it in line with the Axe-Fx 2's level of support (while still including new things like channels and scene names). I plan on running with this spec and getting the most out of it, no sense waiting for the other spec.
Thanks for the Update Ron...!!!

Thank you for your work and for the update, Ron! From what you can tell, is two-way midi communication in the cards at some point? I’m particularly interested in bypass state of blocks on preset or scene changes being reflected on the IAs on the GT.

Thank you for your work and for the update, Ron! From what you can tell, is two-way midi communication in the cards at some point? I’m particularly interested in bypass state of blocks on preset or scene changes being reflected on the IAs on the GT.

That's exactly what we're talking about - what's being done in the near term will be bidirectional and should be equivalent to what we have with the Axe-Fx II series. It may well be that we don't need the full protocol at all - most of what's there is for the Axe-Fx editor, not foot controllers.

That's exactly what we're talking about - what's being done in the near term will be bidirectional and should be equivalent to what we have with the Axe-Fx II series. It may well be that we don't need the full protocol at all - most of what's there is for the Axe-Fx editor, not foot controllers.

Fantastic, Ron! Never once have I regretted selling my Liquid Foot and investing in this. I may need to get a spare if my band takes off, because I can't really imagine doing a gig without my GT. But it has been utterly reliable, too, so I haven't felt the need for that spare! The thing is built like a tank and does what I need it to. I feel like I've only just started scratching the surface.

Ron would you be willing to do a video if I brought my Axe 3 down to you . Alot of people do better watching something than trying to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back