Advantage of RG-16 and 4CM Axe fx?

VESmedic

I have an RG16, and a VHT UL. The RG-16 is a phenominal piece of equipment, really a great unit, but I am looking to simplfy my rig alittle. I plan to get an axe fX 2, and using my VHT UL with the axe fx 2 in a 4CM. I think this will give me all of the flexibility I need. However, I am not sure what I am gaining by keeping the RG-16 in my rack. If I decide to run the UL and axe fx 2 through the RG-16 via 4CM, what am I gaining with this setup vs just running the UL and axe together 4cm? Other than obviously making my UL Midi switchable on the clean/2 OD channels. Does the RG-16 help cut down on some of the noise that I may pick up by any chance? I've heard that the new axe 2 is better for 4CM, but unfortunately I have no way of knowing if it will work well with my UL, as I can not find anyone in my area that has an axe 2. Any help is appreciated.

Also, anyone that has used the a VHT/Fryette amp with the axe 2 and/or RG-16, your input is GREATLY appreciated as well, especially if you are doing 4CM. Maybe rjm has some input on this as well? Thanks guys, your customer service is the BEST, and your products are even better!

Chris

The big advantage to keeping the RG-16 in there is that you can switch out the pre effects when you're not using them. I don't know about the Axe II, but the Ultra definitely contributed some noise when you used it in front of an amp. Switching out the post effects is nice as well because you can eliminate another A/D/A conversion when you're playing dry.

I am also considering a 4CM setup but it's a little different. I am considering doing this myself with the GT8 with my pedal board and amp. The time based effects will be going through a MLM but some effects like tremolo and slicer are better in line. Its all academic at the moment, my rjm equipment is still in customs and I am a few weeks away from an operational rig, I'll post results of the GT8s functionality when I am done.

Back