Advice for a novice?

msnyder

Good afternoon. My second post here, but already thankful for the wealth of info I’ve been able to glean so far from the forum.

My PBC 6X arrives early next week, so I’m doing some pre-planning.

I'm curious about MIDI.
-Do I actually need to MIDI Y cable for return? Or can I change settings on the MIDI devices with just MIDI out?
-H9 and Timeline have MIDI in/outs, whereas the Strymon Compadre has the single ¼” TRS. Any tips on how to set these up?

Gear/path below:

>>>

Guitar > *Compadre > Lightspeed > (In) PBC 6X

• Loops 1-5 = various gain stages
  • Loop 6 = Dimension C (Out)
  • Insert Loop = blank (perhaps effects loop later)
*Timeline > *Eventide H9 > Amp

(2-button switch and Dunlop DVP4 Volume/Expression Pedal)

<<<

Thanks much, Mike.

You only need the MIDI Y cable if you want to use the Nixie software to edit the Timeline. The MIDI out or thru of the last pedal needs to go back to the PBC's input.

Fo the Compadre, you're going to need something like the Chase Bliss MIDI Box to convert to TRS MIDI.

Just getting started and figuring things out.

When I hit the Bank Up button (to get to preset 5), the unit quickly and automatically scrolls all the way up to the last available preset, then slowly starts banking back down. Then I have to hold the Bank Down to get back to presets 1-4.

Probably something simple in the Global Settings, but I can't seem to find it?

EDIT: Also, Holding 1 & 3 (from Presets, Loops, or Switches) no longer sends me to program mode?

FWIW, I'm using the power supply that came with the PBC 6X. And the issues described above occur whether I'm tethered to my laptop (supplied USB) or not.

EDIT 2: Firmware updated. Kept messing with things. No matter what, hiting bank up scrolls quickly all the way up to 768. If I power the PBC 6X down, then back up I can access program mode by holding 1 & 3. However, once I try the bank up switch and manually bank back down, I lose the abiilty to hold 1 & 3 to get into program mode.

Thanks!

Last edited:
What kind of external switch are you using, and do the problems happen if it's not connected? This sounds to me like a latching switch is being used, but it needs to be momentary.

Thank you, Ron! Total rookie mistake.

Just in case it helps anyone searching the threads...I did have a latching switch on my board as a placeholder while I'm waiting on the correct swtich. And I had forgotten that I attached the TRS to ensure that it was long enough to reach. Then I got busy making cables and wiring things up and completely forgot about it. Makes total sense now.

Is there any reason that when bouncing back and forth between Loops, Switches and Presets that all buttons on the device will stop working? The only way I can get anything to work is to hold down 1 & 3...then exit, then seems to work normal for a while.

Cannot for the life of me figure out what I might be doing to make it freeze?

I was starting to notice that it happens on preset 03 or 02 more than others. Might be because I'm spending more time there. But I'm hoping there's just some tweak to a setting I've accidentally created.

Back