AFX3 "Scene" switching

touch33

WELL... I searched for an answer to no avail, so here goes: I presently have my GT16/AxeFX3 set so that five of the Main Page bottom row buttons are "Preset buttons", with their "hold" functions all set to "SCENE MENU" – with the idea being I can lazily press/hold any of them and always get the Scenes Menu for the current Preset. Holding any one of these Preset buttons gets me to the Scene Menu (duh) which contains the eight Scenes buttons (with text names!) and a CANCEL button. Pressing any one of these eight Scene buttons selects that scene and then automatically dismisses the Scene Menu page, returning to my Main page.

What I seek is a way to be able to switch back and forth between the eight Scenes (so I can audition them in third-party presets) WITHOUT the automatic dismissal that automatically occurs when a Scene is selected. Is this auto-dismissal a choice somewhere that I've failed to find, or do I need to create my own custom Scene page that requires a manual "CANCEL" button (which I guess would be a "previous page" button in reality). Further – CAN such a custom Scene page be created that will still get the same eight "Scenes-With-Names" data for the current Preset that I get from the Scene Menu?

Thoughts?

Yes, you can do that, but needs to be on a different page as you mentioned. IA Cycle Menus are a special case, they do what they do, and they can't be configured to do something different (e.g. stay visible after selecting). You need to create a separate IA button for each scene.

The fastest way to see how it's done is to create a new configuration in the GT editor (making sure to save your configuration!). Then, add an Axe-Fx III device to the Devices tab. Go to the Buttons tab, right-click, then select Assign Default Buttons > Axe-Fx III. Have a look at the preset buttons in the bottom row - their IA settings are what you need for scene selection. The only difference is that you'll want the button type to be IA instead of Preset.

Also, if this wasn't already obvious, you can set the hold function on your preset button to a system action page Y, where Y is the page you setup the IA buttons per Ron's suggestion (Action: System/Page page:Y). Then, on page Y, setup an IA action button to take you back to your other page. (Action: System/Page:page:0)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    65.3 KB · Views: 2
SO – here's what I've got so far:

1) I created a Page 8 – "SCENES" that contains the eight IA buttons for controlling Scene selection per Ron's suggestion. Seems to work well EXCEPT that it only shows accurate feedback after using the standard "Scene Menu" function to select a scene. In other words, the SCENE page doesn't show which scene is selected as part of a Preset recall until a Scene change takes place. (FWIW, I set the eight Scene buttons to be part of Button Group1 so that their feedback works correctly).

2) I set the first (lower left) Preset button on the Main Page to have a Hold function that calls "System: Page-page8" that flips to the SCENE page. The other four Preset buttons on the Main Page have their Hold function still set to recall the Scene Menu (which I now understand is actually a dedicated "IA Cycle" button for the Scenes).

3) The upper-right button on my Pages is a Global button with "Previous Page" as it's main function and a Hold function of "Pages". I use this button quite a bit when dancing around the MMGT-16, as it's a super-convenient way to navigate pages when combined with the other Upper row buttons that directly access certain pages.

Here's the rub: the first time that I select a Preset using the Main Page lower-left button it recalls the preset properly (and changes from Green to Yellow), and "holding" the same button immediately performs the flip to Page 8 – SCENES as expected. After using the PREVIOUS button to flip back to the Main page, the first Preset button will not perform the page flip to SCENES the first time it's held – it has to be held a SECOND time to get it to flip to the SCENES page. Subsequent flips between the SCENES page and the MAIN Page shows the same anomaly. This anomaly also occurs even if the lower-left Preset button ISN'T the "active" preset button, i.e. it's still GREEN instead of YELLOW.

The file is attached, and if there's a way to get the SCENES page to populate with the correct feedback after a Preset recall it would be exactly what I seek. I have no idea what's causing the "two-press anomaly" on the Hold function flip to Page8...

Thoughts?

Attachments

• AFX3-GT16 102920a.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
On your scene buttons, get rid of the grouping and sett the off value to None on all of them. This will allow incoming status from the Axe-Fx to update the button states, keeping them in sync.

On the hold-to-go-to-scene-page button(s), turn on the Momentary checkbox on the hold function. What's happening is that the first hold is turning on the button and switching pages. When you hold it a second time, the button turns off, which does nothing. The third hold turns the button on again, resulting in a page change. Turning on Momentary triggers the page change every time, because the button registers as an "on" press every time.

Ron —
Made your changes, both working like champs. Thanks for the fix (and the education). Again.

Question: do all of the Preset button HOLD functions need to be the same (IA buttons) or can one Preset button HOLD remain a Scene Menu? I tried it (for a quick rev, anyway) and editing one seemed to unintentionally change them all. Is that even possible?

Back