Alternate routing and buffers ... question.

lureb

I am thinking about routing loops 5-6 as my first loop block before loops 1-4 because it would be more useful to me to have the first insert point after two loops, not four. Where would the first buffer end up being? I assume it would still be before loop 1 (so right after my new insert point) but not sure how the hardware is wired.

Any downsides or things I'd need to consider because of wiring it that way, besides using patch cables to make up for the stock normalling of the jacks?

Yes, the first buffer is between the In 1-4 jack and the first loop, so it would end up between loop 6 and and loop 1 in your configuration.

Generally speaking, doing it that way should be fine. A buffer has the most effect when you're not using effects, so it's not always necessary to have it in the very first position.

Perfect, one of the first couple of loops would probably be for a fuzz so the buffer location could save me having to enable and disable it per preset, I could just keep it on and forget about it.

I'll only have to rearrange the loops page and my general approach to programming so that the loop numbers and real signal flow make sense.

Thanks!

Follow up question, unrelated to buffers but to routing.

The A and B outputs are directly tied to the output of loop 10, correct?

The scenario is doing an A/B between clean and dirty amps, or separate inputs of the same amp. If A/B selection comes directly from the output of loop 10 then there's no chance of routing loops 7-10 through the FX loop of either amp or even a single double input amp. Perhaps the only way to have effects in the FX loop (especially of a dirty amp) would be to use either of the other loop sections (1-4 or 5-6) for the FX loop and leave 7-10 in front to be able to use the A/B function. Does this make sense?

Yes, the A/B switch is connected to the output of loop 10. You definitely can't switch effects between the effects loops of two amps. For that, you'd need two A/B switches: one for the amp's loop send and one for the loop return.

If you're putting the effects in front of two amps or in front of a two input amp, there's no problem with that. The effects will be available for whichever amp or input is selected. The only thing you wouldn't be able to do is run both amps or inputs, one with effects and one without.

You can definitely use the groups of loops in a different order to allow A/B switching along with effects in the loops of the amps.

Back