Amp Gizmo channel switching on Mesa Boogie Roadster

Jim V. Serpent

Hi, and a happy new year to you all!

I'm in the process of deciding whether an Amp Gizmo or a Mini Amp Gizmo would be more suited for my case. I could use a little help from youz guys!

Part of my rig is a brilliant Mesa Boogie Roadster head, a TC electronics FX unit in the loop, and soon to be a Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro.

I have been led to the understanding that an RJM amp gizmo would make the best lightweight/compact solution not only for transporting the signal from the GCP through Midi In/Out connection to change the effects on my rack unit, but also for changing the channels on the roadster and engaging the reverb/fxloop/solo functions of the amp.

The latter can be achieved with the use of the RJM's RRN-10 cable when used in either of the two Gizmo units. This is where the Amp Gizmo differs over the Mini version. It gives an extra option. However, despite all my research I haven't managed to find out if the rear panel stereo switches of the Amp Gizmo will actually be able to pull it off.
I thought that since the channel/function input jacks on the back of the Roadster are 1/4" tip to ground (but I only need 7 out of 8) and the jacks on the back of the Amp Gizmo are 4 stereo jacks, I could connect three Y-shape 1/4" 1 TRS to 2 TS cables right-off-the-shelf to the first three sockets of the Gizmo on to the first 6 inputs of the Mesa Boogie and a plain TS cable to get the last function.

"when Switch 1 is turned on from the front panel, switch 1 on the 8-pin jack and switch 1 on the 1/4" jacks are both activated" (as quoted in the RJM website)

Could this mean my thought is practically applicable? Are there any limitations to this approach (ex. lag at channel changing, unwanted noises, low (?) quality cable-related problems, or Roadster-specific issues) that you know of?? Which would really be the ideal setup for handling this amp? Pros/cons?

I am a bit overcautious. Lots of things can go wrong when gigging/touring, even the things you least expect. (Don't get me wrong - I think highly of the RJM products) But I would like to have quick and reliable solutions on the go. So keeping my options available is what I would choose over a cheaper and lighter alternative. But would it be IT for me?

Thanks for your time!

Jim V.

You can do what you describe with the insert cables and it'll work. The switching might be noisier than with the RRN cable. The electronics in the RRN cable keep the switching signal to the Roadster much cleaner than what we can accomplish without the cable. I don't know the specific effect on the Roadster, but we definitely have confirmed that the external switching jacks are noisier on the Mark V, which uses basically the same switching circuit.

So it is possible, it's just not recommended. That's cool, good to know it.

However what noise would be generated? Can you be more specific?

Let's hope someone who tried it on their Roadster will chime in.

Thanks for all the input!

Jim V.

Back