Amp Switching with Mastermind and Effect Gizmo

Doogin

I think I have this figured out, but I want to make sure: if I had a Mastermind connected to an Effect Gizmo's MIDI in and then a MIDI cable going from the Effect Gizmo's MIDI thru to my MIDI-capable amp's MIDI in, would that allow me to control the effects in the Effect Gizmo and the channels on my amp with the Mastermind? Is there a better (or correct) way to do this? I was looking at the RG-16/Rack Gizmo, but I think the only benefit it has over the Effect Gizmo is that it can control non-MIDI capable amps, right?

Also, if I wanted to turn my rig into a stereo rig in the future, could I run a MIDI cable from my first amp's MIDI thru to the second amp's MIDI in so that the Mastermind would control both of the amps? If the second amp wasn't MIDI-capable, could I somehow connect an Amp Gizmo to control both of the amps with the Mastermind? Or would it be easier to just get an RG-16/Rack Gizmo?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just trying to figure out what I need to set up my rig the way I want it.

Thanks,
Cody

Yes to both your questions. The MIDI Thru port replicates what's going into the MIDI In. So you'd connect MasterMind > EG IN, EG Thru > Amp1, Amp1 Thru > Amp2 (or Amp Gizmo if your 2nd amp isn't MIDI friendly).

Where you need to be careful is if you're chaining too many devices together like this. Up to 3 MIDI Thru's is OK, but beyond that you can get timing and signal losses, so you'd need to invest in a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru, which splits the MIDI signal chain into 4, allowing you to use more devices without issues.

Awesome! Thank you for your quick reply!

One more question: if I was to do this in stereo, should I get the completely stereo version of the Effect Gizmo so that I can run all of the pedals to both amps? I want to be able to run some pedals into the front of both amps, and some pedals into the effects loops of both amps. Is that possible?

Okay I lied, here's another question: if I have stereo pedals, can I do the above setup and achieve the stereo effect from those pedals (like stereo delay or stereo chorus that swirls back and forth)? Or would the stereo effects just be in mono coming from each amp?

You only need as many stereo loops as you have stereo effects. Any effects in front of the amps will be mono, any you're trying to use in the loops of both amps need to be stereo, and specifically they need both stereo inputs and stereo outputs. If you use true stereo effects, then you'll get ping-pong delay, stereo chorus and all that good stuff.

Back