Anybody here already using the new Morningstar MC6 Pro?

ZappaFrank

I finally ordered a Morningstar MC6 Pro to control my PBC6 and PBC 10 via MIDI. I am wondering what will be the best way to set this up because the PBC6 has only a MIDI OUT Port. So you need an Y Cable if you want MIDI IN and OUT functionality. Whereas the PBC10 has MIDI IN and OUT Ports. I just wonder what will be the best way to set this up MIDI routing wise. Or with other words. Can I find a way to connect the Masterminds directly with the Morningstar or is necessary to have a MIDI Routing which implies the use of the computer/and or other MIDI devices? Well and I would be curious if anybody here is using already the MC6 Pro and if you are happy with it. It seems to be a pretty capable device. I was also thinking of buying the Mastermind LT which without doubt is also amazing, but I like among other things the three Color Displays because my eyes are not the best.

You'll need a cable like this to split the PBC's MIDI output:

You'll need a cable like this to split the PBC's MIDI output:
I would prefer to avoid Y Cables and MIDI DIN Ports and just send the MIDI Messages from the Morningstar PC6 Pro via USB to my Mac and from my Mac to three devices: The Quad Cortex, the PBC6 and the PBC10. The MC6 Pro as the controlling source unit and the Quad Cortex and the PCB6 and 10 as the receiving devices have all USB Ports which are able to send and receive MIDI from the Computer when they are connected via USB with my Mac. The problem is that I think the Morningstar can only be connected to one USB MIDI Device at the same time. (I remember a while ago we have talked about this problem with respect to the Mastermind too. You explained my that it is not possible to specify in the Mastermind more then one USB MIDI Connection at the same time. You said this is a general problem and also applies to the Morningstar devices. In this scenario the computer. But how can I route the MIDI Messages which are send to the computer in a way that they will be received by the Quad Cortex and the two Masterminds devices? I would prefer the solution to send everything to my Mac via USB and then route it to the other devices because otherwise I have the impression that it gets a little complicated as I said before. On the other hand I don't know if it possible to send the MIDI Messages from the Morningstar thru my Mac to the PBC6+10 and the Quad Cortex. I guess I would have to use some kind of MIDI Routing Software on my Mac to make this work, right?
I wouldn't have thought what seems rather trivial is so complicated. If I use a Routing Software or and I use always the same configuration and this configuration says route all MIDI Messages which arrive from the MC6 Pro Controller at the computer to the PBC6, PBC10 and the Quad Cortex this will end up in chaos because let’s say the MC6 Pro sends a MIDI Program Change to the computer and this Program Change is intended to activate Preset 2 at the PBC6. If everything is forwarded blindly to all three devices then the PBC10 and the Quad Cortex also will jump to Preset 2 and that is not what is intended, right?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you can do this with the built in Audio MIDI Setup app on a Mac - it has a bunch of MIDI routing options.

If you can get that working, you're pretty well set. As long as your PBCs and Quad Cortex are all on different MIDI channels, there won't be any confusion.

I'm pretty sure you can do this with the built in Audio MIDI Setup app on a Mac - it has a bunch of MIDI routing options.

If you can get that working, you're pretty well set. As long as your PBCs and Quad Cortex are all on different MIDI channels, there won't be any confusion.
Oh, thank you. The most obvious thing :D - the MIDI channels. I have somehow completely forgotten that this is the obvious solution! Thank you very much!!!

Back