Anyone using an Axe FXII with a Rack Gizmo?

GuitarMan86

Hi All,

I have been looking to get an RJM Rack Gizmo sometime in the near future and want to incorporate it into a new rig I am building for myself.
I just cam out of using a TC G-system and now have a brand new Axe FXII with MFC101 controller.
I have always wanted to incorporate a rack gizmo into my setup because I want the best of both worlds....I want to have my favorite stomps in front of the amp and also in the loop.....BUT!....I am now using the AxeFXII in a 4-cable method and love it! It plays nicely with my Splawn (still tinkering).
What I want to do is still keep the AxeFXII in the 4-cable method and use the Rack Gizmo (when I buy one :) ) for my stomps in front and in the loop while still keeping the AxeFXII with the 4CM setup.

Anyone out there doing something similar? I know I have seen the G-system topics doing the same but just wanted to get some opinions on folks using it with the AxeFXII and how they may be setting it up? Thanks! :D

I am admittedly not with an axe fx but with a gt pro

I have 4 different rack preamps in the loops of the gt pro all switchable/selectable with and RG16. I then have an effect gizmo with analoge pedals some before and some after the pre-amps or on board amp sims in the GT.

Took a bit of setting up to get all the levels matched but it wotks like an absolute charm, whilst the signal is always running through the GT I can in effect switch to a complete analoge rig, totally digital rig or any combination in between

thanks for the response 4x4UK.
I can imagine the cabling with all of those....probably explains why you have an effect gizmo on top of the RG16..hah.

I just want to run my AxeFXII in the 4 cable method and also be able to add all my analog stomps in front of the amp and in the loop along with keeping the whole AxeII still in the 4CM.
Testing the AxeII in 4CM is allowing me to use the amp modules or my head for the pre-amp which is nice.

Attached is a diagram that shows how I set up using the 4 cable method... You'll be able to switch out either half (or both halves) of the Axe, or switch out the amp's preamp to run the Axe straight into the amp's power amp.

Attachments

• RG_6Pedals_4Wire.pdf
    442.6 KB · Views: 266
My interpretation
the colour coding makes it easier to follow the signal path, basically the coloured parts are audio signals conataining an effect which may pass further dorn the signal chain if that the loop is engaged

And yes the cabling in my rig is interesting, if I remember correctly there are about 130-150 neutrik plugs all told

Ahh...thank you for the clarity. Yes, proper cables and proper wiring make ALL the difference as we have all found out the hard way :)
Looking towards an Rack Gizmo in the future....once I get the AxeII set up properly and in use....need to have all these pedals hooked up again. Never ending quest for tone!

Thanks again. Are the Rack Gizmos still on wait list? Will be a little while for me....just checking for availability at moment. Thanks

OK, I have been gettin used to my AxeII and have now ordered a MATRIX1000FX-2U power amp (should arrive this week) to add to my setup. So, to make my configuration a little more complex I still want to incorporate the Rack Gizmo (when I get one soon that is... :) )

I would like to keep the Splawn QR in a 4CM and have the Matrix Power Amp used entirely separate. I would like some presets to utilize the matrix for stereo and some presets to utilize the AxeII in 4CM (with stomps out front) with the matrix for stereo.

Does this sound do-able and are others doing similar? Thanks!

yes its doable

You can put stomps (switchable from looper) in front of axe fx and the splawn preamp in the axe loop and use matrix as your power amp

but from what you are trying to do you may be better off with the effect gizmo rather than the rack gizmo

To give you some idea of what is possible here is a link to my setup
http://www.bossgtcentral.com/album.php? ... mentid=324

Thanks 4x4uk... WOW! that is some rig you have going on there.
I was wondering about the effect gizmo but wasnt sure on amp channel switching for the Splawn (and any other future amps to come).

I mainly use a few OD pedals out front and an EVH Phase 90 and EVH Flanger in the effects loop. So, with having the AxeII in 4CM with the Splawn as my main setup I need to be able to switch out the OD pedals out front (no problem there I see). And, also have the loop for the 4CM with the AxeII effects along with the two EVH stomp pedals. And then be able to go totally separate with stereo on the Matrix/AxeII (stereo 1 setup) and also Splawn with Matrix (for stereo 2 setup).

This is probably is simple brain teaser for you looking at your awesome rig schematics haha! :) (Im still building this one out)

Thanks in advance

Getting closer to solving this equation.....
1. 4 Pedals in front ... ZW44, TS808, EVH phase 90, empty slot
2. Splawn Quickrod head (for analog pedals in front and loop) (4CM with Axe FX II)
3. Axe FXII (in loop of Splawn and used with matrix for amp modeling in stereo and 4CM if possible)
4. Matrix GT1000-Fx power amp (used with Axe FX II)
5. Pedals in Splawn Quickrod effects loop - EVH Flanger, Delay, Reverb

I am assuming the Rack Gizmo as opposed to the Effect Gizmo would be the way to go here based on the PDF Ron shows?

Since you're using a Quick Rod, you might want to consider the Effect Gizmo. You can use some of the last four loops of the Effect Gizmo for channel switching and will still have an extra loop or two left over (depending on the switching arrangement you have on the Quick Rod). You can swap in the Effect Gizmo for the Rack Gizmo in the diagram and it'll work fine.

(I now see in your previous message that you might switch to another amp at some point. This is the only reason I can think of that you might want to consider the Rack Gizmo for your rig).

Agreed, that's what I was contemplating also. I knew I could get away with an effect gizmo since the Splawn probably wouldn't require a special cable for channel switching....but if I swap it out for another amp head that does I am stuck.
Rack Gizmo it is then! Thanks for the help....
I'm sure I will be requiring more once I order one and really start tearing into the rig building portion...haha. I may draw up a rig design to also map out my plans and share that also.

Another question....
Forgive my not knowing the answer on how some of you handle this..but. When incorporating 2 amps into the rack gizmo scenarios (in my case it would be a Matrix power amp and a Splawn Quickrod) how do you utilize the same speaker cab(s) for the speaker outs on the amps? Thanks

Back