Anyone using an Axe FXII with a Rack Gizmo?

the simple and straight forward answer is
I dont, whilst I am amp switching generally thats only the pre-amp part. I do run multiple poweramps in some situations but they are all doing slightly different things and are all coupled to their own speakers when used.

to switch cabs between poweramps is also slightly tricky as you ideally need to maintain the speaker load on each amp.

Have a look a something like radial engineerings Headbone, which should give you what you need for cab switching between 2 amps
http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm

Right.... thats what I was going to add is the OHM settings between amps. My Matrix doesnt have any settings (solid state) and the Splawn I usually run 16ohm into 16ohm Genz Benz 2x12 G-flex stereo cabs. I want to be able to split these cabs on stage and have the Matriz running stereo with the AxeFXII (rig 1) and then be able to switch to the Splawn (with AxeFXII in effects loop and analog pedals in front) and use the same 2 cabs @16ohm.

I have a Visio drawing I am working on to explain this a little better with a visual. But, I am torn on how to handle the speaker cabs in the 2 rigs mentioned.

your going to need two headbones to do that as they are mono or get a stereo version custom made, you should be able to control them with a single loop from the gizmo though
and as one amp is a valve amp and the other solid state you will be better off with the tonebone TS

interesting....never saw these before. thanks
Add some $$$ to the quest for tone....think this one may have to wait a few. I do have the option to utilize both the cabs and split them in half (since they are stereo at 8ohm L/R)
I just had to ask the question if folks are using the Rack Gizmo or the other products how they were accomplishing the CAB outputs with more than one amp in the rig.
Once I post my drawing maybe I can accomplish a different method of setting up these two scenarios.

not totally up on the axe but does it have two sets of outputs the boss gt pro does. I used to use two differnt poweramps that way

Yes, it does. However, I am only using one power amp.....which will utilize the output 1 L/R. The Splawn would have the Axe in its effects loop which use input 1L and output 1L. For output 1 I can use XLR'S or TRS/TS for the jacks.

Here is a drawing for breaking out what I was looking to accomplish. I separated RIG1 and RIG2. There is only one AxeFXII/Rack Gizmo/Tuner in the scenarios.
I am looking to answer what is the best use of this equipment with a Rack Gizmo in the mix?
I would like to make the whole thing switchable via the MFC101 and be able to switch out both scenarios (or any others that can be done).

Attachments

• Guitar Rig 3.pdf
    185.9 KB · Views: 117
I would put all the pedals in the first 7 loops, then put the Splawn preamp into a loop (RG send 8 to amp input, RG return 8 to amp's loop send). The output of loop 8 would go to the Axe. If I recall correctly, you can use output 1 and output 2 on the Axe as selectable outputs, so on some patches the signal can go to output 1 (connected to Splawn's loop return) and on others the signal can go to output 2 (the Matrix). You'll need something like a Headbone as discussed above in order to switch the speaker cabs. You can control that with the switching side of the RG.

Thanks again! Ok, I have taken the time to get a new drawing started with the template and would love some assistance to help me fill in the missing blanks.
I think I have all the pedals correct and the start of the Splawn and Axe....

I will have to put the speaker outs to separate cabs since they are stereo.

Let me know if I am on the right track and I will make corrections and re-post as necessary.
I will be ordering my limited edition (Black faced) Rack Gizmo in the next few minutes....have to call Sheri back now!! haha :D

Attachments

• Guitar Rig 4.pdf
    224.1 KB · Views: 112
I need to spend a bit more time looking at your layout, but a couple of things I noticed at first glance
1) The pedals I assume you want these in fromt of amp and or in ax fx loop or pre ax fx, they are currently not in the signal chain other than they are connected to the effect gizmo
2) the out 8 to Axe FX out connection is not correct and wont achieve anything
3) I assume the connection to return 8 from the spalwn is FX loop send on the splawn
4) Guitar input from line 6 relay doesnt go anywhere

If you can give some detail as to what you are trying to achieve and what signal touting options you would ideally want then I will try and help

for example guitar> Pedals > axe> matrix
Guiar> Pedals > axe> splawn Preamp > axe> Matrix
guitar > pedals > Splawn

Hi 4x4UK...thanks for responding.

Yes, on the pedals. This will be used in front of Splawn with AxeFXII in loop of Splawn.
The AxeII will be used with Matrix and use OUTPUT 1 L/R to respective 2x12 cab
The AxeII will be used in the effects loop of Splawn with all the analog pedals in front.

....I know I didnt get very far :)

Let me know if I can answer anything else. I may take another stab an re-post an updated version as well.

ok no problem was just wanting to get a handle on the basic set up you were trying to achieve. Between now and sunday night I will lay out a basic wiring diagram for you. to match the routing you mentioned above.

Just one question is there a specific reason you are putting the Axe into the splawn loop as If it was me I would personally run the setup the other way round more or less. I would put the splawn preamp into the axe fx loop as a preference

Thanks....
Are you suggesting the Splawn being used in the 4CM method?...I have tried it and I am still experimenting with that method using the AxeII. When I use the 4CM I need to have a HE2 in the setup to eliminate some hum. The 4CM with the AxeII to me sounds much better than the 4CM with the TC G-system (which I used for years prior), I just havent found my sweet spot yet with the AxeII and I am still learning everyday.....endless capabilities.

With the Matrix I will be using the AxeII to its fullest extent (modeling and effects). With the Splawn I mainly use the shown OD pedals in front and only time-based effects in the loop so I was thinking this would be the best use.

rjmmusic said:
Attached is a diagram that shows how I set up using the 4 cable method... You'll be able to switch out either half (or both halves) of the Axe, or switch out the amp's preamp to run the Axe straight into the amp's power amp.

Also, I am curious on this method and will try it out. But, one question....
With this diagram where (if) can I place the Matrix GT100FX power amp into the mix to also utilize it with the AxeII.
I know I can wire the Axe with Output 1 going to Matrix and Output 2 to the Splawn (my assumption).
Trying to nail down this diagram where it makes sense to me (still formulating how the device works)....little hard till I get my hands on it (coming this week :) )

thanks for all the help thus far on preparation!

Back