Axe-FX III: Get Block Channel State on Scene Switch

DavidW

Hi all,

Just got my GT22 and it's awesome (RJM are awesome as well, helped me out very promptly with a defect/warranty issue).

Anyway, I am using it with an Axe-FX III, and I want to build an IA switch that changes an always on block between two different channels (A & B). I've managed to do this, the issue is when changing scenes I can't get the block to update itself with the block's current channel state (i.e., block is on channel A in scene 1, but channel B in scene 2, but on switching to scene 2 the switch is still displaying the state for channel A).

Is what I want to do possible?

Make sure Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change are turned off, that allows the Axe-Fx to control that button.

Thanks. However, they are both turned off already. I suspect it's because I'm changing scenes and not presets, and the channel state (as opposed to block off/on state) is not being queried. Maybe there's something wrong in how I've setup the button (action type CC toggle, reverb CC, off value 1, on value 2).

Last edited:
Looks like that's a bug - standard IAs don't sync with channel state, only cycle buttons do. You can get it to work by editing the button, turning on IA Cycle, and changing your actions to look like this:

CC Toggle / Axe-Fx: <Effect> off:None on:1
System / Step
CC Toggle / Axe-Fx: <Effect> off:None on:2

Hi again. Perhaps it's also a bug with IA Cycle, because I can't make it work there either. It successfully cycles between the two states, but when changing scenes the button on the GT doesn't change. I've turned IA Cycle on, set three actions as you described, and the Send/Update on Preset Change settings are still turned off.

Interestingly, if I press the button so that it's on step 2/channel B, and switch to a scene that is programmed with channel A, the button display it reverts to step 1. If I do the same thing but switch to a scene that has the block set on Step 2/Channel B, the button display stays on step 2. Clearly there is some state being watched, but for whatever reason it's not working switching from step 1 to step 2 when changing scenes. Any other ideas?

Another bug I've found (although worked around) is that I can't program external switches on the device itself. When I attempt to, the setting is lost. For example, I assign an external button as an IA switch, turning an effect block on/off, and I press all the done buttons to complete the edit. The button doesn't work, and if I go back into editing that button, the action has disappeared. This does not seem to be an issue with editing via the PC, I can assign the button and it sticks.

I'm using the final 4.1.0 firmware. I was on the beta previously, but had issues with scenes, so I decided to wait until the final. I upgraded and then did a factory reset of the settings and started again.

Hi Ron,

I've upgraded to 4.20 final on the GT 22 and 1.18-beta1 on the Axe-FX III. Unfortunately, I haven't be able to get this to work. I've tried how I had it (regular IA toggle between the two scenes) and the way you suggested (IA cycle) and neither are syncing correctly on scene change with the Axe-FX (scenes being changed by scene buttons on the GT22). I note that if I change scenes on the Axe-FX III, that isn't reflected on the GT22 either, could that be part of the issue?

Any more suggestions?

Actually, I just sorted it. I noted that the external switches on my SP1-RJM pedals were working perfectly, and they are setup the same way. I went back to the original button I was having trouble with, deleted all actions and tried to do as much as I could to 'reset' the button, then set it back up and now it works perfectly.

Thanks Ron for all your hard efforts in working with Cliff & Co and getting the Mastermind GT to this point, it now completely meets my needs. The product is miles ahead of any other midi controller I've tried, both in terms of third-party device support and ease of use. Thanks again.

Back