Best way to diagnose midi messages??

jluparello

I am using the PBC10 to control my pedals. 3 of my pedals can receive midi messages to change settings, presets, etc... one of the 3 pedals behaves inconsistently, at best - most of the time it's just unresponsive. I reached out to the pedal manufacturer and they're trying to say the PBC isn't sending the right messages. Based on documentation alone, I'm more confident the pedal receiving the messages is the fail point rather than the messages the PBC is sending. That said, is there an "easy" way to confirm, for example, the PBC is accurately sending the intended PC or CC on the correct channel? What's the best way to go about diagnosing this so that I can tell the manufacturer it's their pedal and the PBC is perfect ;)

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!!

MIDI-OX is the Windows equivalent. Both that and MIDI Monitor are indispensable tools for debugging MIDI issues.

Another thing to try is to plug the device in question directly into the PBC's MIDI output. It's quite possible that one of the devices in between is corrupting the MIDI data. The more devices you have in between PBC and the last device in the chain, the more likely there will be corruption.

Thanks all! The PBC was doing what I would expect. The pedal was simply ignoring everything midi. I factory reset the pedal and it started working as expected, receiving and responding to the corresponding messages. Frustrating that was the solution and I certainly hope it's not persistent. The manufacturer claims this was the first they've heard of this happening.

Back