Bug, or settings issue?

greiswig

I am enabling Bandhelper to also send MIDI to my AxeFX3, along with my MMGT. There's another thread where I outlined doing this, and where Ron and others helped me figure out a solution there. It's working great now, most of the time.

My goal is to select a song, and have the PC change, scene change, and the tempo sent from Bandhelper. That's then reflected back in the MMGT. As I said, it's working very well for the most part. This works when using a MIDI in from Bandhelper in the MIDI Remote jack on the back of the MMGT, with the "Merge In" set to ON.

However, most of the time when you make a program change in Bandhelper, then pull up the Presets menu on the MMGT, the system will no longer respond to PC changes from the MMGT itself. It WILL send the Scene changes for that preset, though. You can very briefly see the MMGT trying to reflect the change, but it quickly toggles back to the prior preset. The UI on the AxeFX doesn't change for even an instant. So it seems that the MMGT actually may not be sending the PC change at all when it's stuck like this.

So far, I've tried using an external MIDI Merge, which doesn't make any change in this behavior. Neither does rebooting the AxeFX. Neither does toggling the MMGT's Merge In setting from On to Off. The only way to get it out of this "latched" state is to reboot the MMGT. "

One other thing to note: I can replicate this behavior by changing the AxeFX Preset via the knob on the hardware. Same thing: it will get the system into a state where you cannot change the preset using the MMGT until you reboot it.

Is there possibly a bug causing this? Or is it a setting somewhere that I need to change?

Does this only happen when using the Preset Menu?
I think the answer is yes. But...as opposed to what? The preset menu is what I use to change presets from the MMGT. Is there something else you want me to try to help isolate the issue?

I think the answer is yes. But...as opposed to what? The preset menu is what I use to change presets from the MMGT. Is there something else you want me to try to help isolate the issue?

I'm just wondering if you change presets another way (normal preset buttons on the GT, for example) and don't bring up the preset menu at all, does it still happen?

Do you have Send Redundant PCs turned on in the GT's Devices settings for the Axe-Fx (it should be on). Not sure that's it, but that definitely needs to be turned on in any system where program changes may be coming from more than one place.

Well, the act of creating a page with Preset +, Preset -, and two Preset buttons with specific preset values on it...or the mere act of hooking the MMGT up to my Macbook...has made it so now none of those work at all, including the preset menu. It ignores preset button selections altogether now, very consistently.

Do you have Send Redundant PCs turned on in the GT's Devices settings for the Axe-Fx (it should be on). Not sure that's it, but that definitely needs to be turned on in any system where program changes may be coming from more than one place.
No, that was set to OFF. And putting it ON creates another issue: everything goes to Preset 000 no matter what. With that ON, I can't even select another preset using the AxeFX UI. It just bounces back to 000.

Turn off Send on Preset Change on your buttons that select specific presets - if you don't, those buttons will activate every time you change presets on the Mastermind.

Turn off Send on Preset Change on your buttons that select specific presets - if you don't, those buttons will activate every time you change presets on the Mastermind.
OK, I will try that if I need to make a page that directly accesses presets via a button. But does that help me with my preset menu issue?

OK, I will try that if I need to make a page that directly accesses presets via a button. But does that help me with my preset menu issue?

If Send on Preset Change is part of the problem, then yes. Every button that has Send on Preset Change turned on will activate every time you change presets, no matter how the preset is selected.

If Send on Preset Change is part of the problem, then yes. Every button that has Send on Preset Change turned on will activate every time you change presets, no matter how the preset is selected.
OK, I would have thought that would only matter if the button in question actually was intended to trigger a preset change.

Regardless, on the page that I'm using for this, none of the buttons have Send on Preset or Update on Preset ON. So I gather that isn't the issue. The same two AxeFX presets I'm going between for this gig both use that same MMGT page.

I restored my MMGT to a prior configuration that I knew kind of worked. In the current iteration of this issue, as soon as I send a MIDI Program change from Bandhelper, I get in a situation where I cannot directly select a preset from the MMGT preset menu until I have changed the preset on the AxeFX itself, which seems to "clear the clog." Until I once again send a program change from Bandhelper.

Last edited:
Using the settings you sent me the other day, I did some research. I found buttons that have Send on Preset Change turned on:

Preset button (button 12), page 9 (has this action: Axe-Fx III / PC off:0 on:63)
Preset button (button 15), page 9 (has this action: Axe-Fx III / PC off:0 on:64)

Both of these buttons will always send PC 0 to the Axe-Fx, every time you change presets on the GT, no matter what page you're on. (Or, if the button is programmed to be on in a particular preset, it will send PC 63 or 64 as requested). That's got to be at least part of the problem.

There are many other buttons that have Send on Preset Change turned on, but most of them won't do anything. Buttons that have no IA actions, or have actions with None values (like PC off:None on:1) won't send anything. But, to avoid unexpected behavior, I recommend going into System Report and searching for "Send on preset: Yes". It will show you all buttons that have this setting turned on and you can go in and turn it off.

If you fix that and also turn on Send Redundant PCs, it should fix some or perhaps all of the problems you're seeing.

Copy that, Ron, but that is the page that I created to test what you wanted me to test. When I restored to a working version, that page is no longer even there. I'm using Page 2 in the scenario I outlined above, and it doesn't have any Send on Preset Change ON configurations, and no direct-access preset buttons either.

HOWEVER...setting the Send Redundant PC's to ON did seem to fix the issue. Thank you!

Back