Building my first switching system and have a few questions.

rizzo

I've been playing guitar for 20+ years, the last 10 years for a living. I have always been a pedalboard guy and have never owned a rack until 2 weeks ago. My current band requires me to do quite a bit of tap dancing so I have decided to give it a go. So here is what I will be running:

*Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro into an RG-16
*My amp is a Bogner XTC 101B that I will be controlling it's switching with the RG-16 and the 101B cable
*In front of the amp in the RG-16 loops 1-4 I will be running a Phase 90, Micro Chorus & 2 Carbon Copy Delays (one short/one long)
*In my amps fx loop I want to run a Line 6 M9 that I will control changes via MIDI for my delays and I also run a BOSS NS-2 Noise Suppressor.

So my questions are:
1) If I want to keep the BOSS on at all times how does it need to be hooked up or does it just need to be in another loop by itself that is on at all times?
2) If I want my delays to trail when I switch patches will I need to leave the delays loop activated at all times?
3) With questions 1 & 2 - would a solution to be to control the M9 by midi but keep it and the NS-2 out of the RG-16 and just run them thru the amps loop?
4) If I'd still like to have a BOSS TU-3 on my board do I need to run an extra cable all the way from the back of the rack to my pedalboard?

All of the pieces should be here this week. I'm still trying to grasp the way it all works but I know in the end it will be well worth the mindf***.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Building my first switching system and have a few questi

Hello, and welcome!

1). If you're using the NS-2 full time, you can leave it out of the loops entirely. If the M9 is in loop 5, you can connect loop 5's output to the NS-2 input, then from the NS-2 output to the amp's loop return.

2). Yes, if you want the trails to continue, the loop has to stay on. Or... you can run the M9 in parallel. You would need something like our Mini Line Mixer. You would connect the loop 5 send to the effect, but then the effect output goes to the line mixer input. The dry signal also goes to the line mixer. The M9's signal and the dry signal are mixed together and then would go on to the NS-2 and your amp's effects return. By doing this, the M9's output is active all the time, only the input is switched. So, delay trails will never be cut off.

3). Yes, you definitely could do it that way. The parallel system would probably sound a bit better, because your dry guitar signal never goes through the M9, but leaving the M9 and NS-2 out of the RG-16 altogether will still give you delay trails and you'll have the MIDI switching ability of the M9.

4). The tuner can be done a few ways. Running a cable back to the pedalboard will allow you to use the buffer to isolate the tuner from the audio path. But, you could run your guitar through the tuner, then to the RG-16. I'm not sure if the TU-3 affects tone much, but I'm guessing it probably doesn't. Having the RG-16's buffer after the tuner should help a little as well.

Thank you. All questions answered... for now. Haha.

What are the requirements for the RG16 power supply? Received it today and before I could even get it in my rack my lab chewed the power supply to pieces. Will a BOSS PSA120S work?

Just checked. I'm pretty sure none of the power supplies I have will work. Are there ones that are recommended or is there a way to just order a power supply?

Please send me your address via PM or email and I'll send you a replacement ASAP!

Back