Button Groups & Axe FX III

bmk5140

I'm stuck and I'm starting to wonder if this is possible under the current architecture:

I'd like to have three buttons set up to switch between channels on a block. I can do this fine with groups and it works as expected. What I can't make work is bypassing the block from the group buttons, e.g. if channel C is active, hitting the button again would bypass the block altogether and all three buttons in the group would be "off," sort of like the FC-6/12 "smart bypass" feature. I have the "allow all off" option set and I configured the group actions to bypass the block, but (and I think it has to do with how the MMGT listens to what's going on inside the III) this setup and all the iterations I can invent don't work right. Worst case scenario I can get the block to bypass, but since the channel is still active pushing it again or changing channels doesn't send the group "on" messages. Best case I just get channel switching with no bypass.

Any insight or assistance is appreciated!

So I would have say three buttons set up for channels... the "A" channel button would have the following action:
"Axe-Fx III: Drive 1/CC Toggle #118 off:none on:1"

And the other two would be similar except for their on messages would coincide with channels B and C.

The group action would read:
"Axe-Fx III: Drive 1/CC Toggle #118 off:0 on:127"

This setup doesn't work. It will change channels, but if you press the selected channel again it will bypass the block - as expected - but the button remains "on" since the channel is still active in the block. So changing channels doesn't appear to send the group on message since it thinks it's already on.

I hope that makes sense.

Just thought of something - make sure Direct Send is turned on for the Axe-Fx III in the Devices tab. Otherwise, the system probably won't let you send two CCs in a row with the same CC number.

Ok... direct send does change the behavior a bit. Now I can select a channel by stepping on a group button. I can select another channel by stepping on another group button. I can bypass the block by stepping on whatever group button is "on." But... the button stays lit, or "on," just as before. The difference now is that I can now un-bypass the block by pressing any other button in the group (but not the one that's reporting "on"). So that's a small improvement.

I think the problem is that the MMGT is (correctly, I think) setting the channel button state based on what it's hearing from the AFXIII... in this case it is hearing that channel whatever is active, so it lights the corresponding button. In my mind I think the machine needs to look at both the channel state AND the bypass state at the same time to accomplish what I am looking for. But I'm brand new at this so I may be missing something.

When you ask what the bypass actions look like, I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're looking for, could you elaborate?

What I mean is, somewhere in your system, you have an action or actions defined that bypass the block. I just wanted to know exactly what the action is that you're using. But, this is probably no longer necessary because the problem was related to Direct Send.

Turn off Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change on all of the buttons in your group - that should prevent the Axe-Fx from trying to change those buttons.

The Direct Send parameter improved the behavior but it's still not behaving as desired... I will play around with it tonight and post my results.

Back