Button Pages That Don't Reference 'System Level' Presets

rlhinc

Hello!
For my PBC/10, I've made several dedicated 'MIDI Pedal Preset' pages to provide a quick way to ‘audition’ 10 favorite presets from my MIDI pedals. The buttons on these 'Dedicated MIDI Pedal Preset' pages work perfectly, except for one aspect. My problem (which I'll describe in the following paragraphs) suggest that there's something deep and basic about the way the PBC software is designed that I don't understand. This is a simple issue, but devilishly hard to describe in writing, so please forgive the length of this note.

On these 'Dedicated MIDI Pedal Preset' pages, the PBC/10 screen does not display what the button names are - things like 'Hi Gain,' or 'Crunch,' etc. Instead, the screen displays the name of the page - for example, 'MKII Presets' - AND below that, the name of the Preset from what I'll call the 'System Level' Presets Tab corresponding to whatever Preset button happened to be selected when I go to my various 'Dedicated MIDI Pedal Presets' page.

I have lots of those 'System Level' presets named for their functions when I'm in 'Song/Setlist' mode. All work great. But this 'reference' to the System Preset on every button page seems to prevent the display of the button names ("Hi Gain," etc.) on the 'Dedicated MIDI Pedal Presets' pages.

In normal programming, this 'reference' to what System Preset is selected when you go to, for example, the Loops page, makes sense. Yes, if you're programming say, 'Preset X,' it's nice to know for which Preset you're making your loop selections. Same for 'Switches,' etc.

But, when I go to my dedicated MKII (for example) page, I no longer want anything to do with ’System’ presets. I just want to push a button to go to various “Pedal Specific” presets.

And I'd like these pages to be built in such a way that the name of the buttons (‘Hi Gain,’ etc.) displays on the screen… and not just drifting by when the page is accessed, but on screen when I push each button.

In other words, this ‘dedicated’ page for each MIDI pedal should have NOTHING to do with the 'System Presets' on the ‘Presets’ tab.

I experimented with adding another 'action' for the buttons on the 'Dedicated MIDI Pedal PS' pages that calls up a System Preset that I called 'Hi Gain,' or 'Flat' for an EQ, etc.). That actually worked, but feels like a weird workaround, plus that puts me around Bank 100 - because I have so many Song Presets starting with Preset 1. So, that's a bit of drag, because then I have to get back to much lower Banks to do anything else!

Hope this makes at least some sense.

Anyone have any ideas about this? Many thanks for any help!

Robert

For any IA button, it should display the button name for a period of time when it's pressed. At least, it will if "Show Button Names" is turned on. There's also a Name Time parameter that controls how long the button name is displayed. That's the best solution we have for you. There's no way to keep the system preset name from displaying at this time.

Thanks, Ron... that sounds like it'll work just fine, and didn't know about the 'Name Time' parameter. Just re-set it to 1000ms. and will try it out on the PBC later today. Thanks very much.

Back