Can I Send a CC Message to an MPE Compatible Sound Source via GT10?

scratch17

I have a Fishman Triple Play guitar to MIDI pickup on my Hamer Duotone. It does a pretty decent job of converting each string's audio to MIDI data. I want to use an MPE compatible synth as a sound source.

MPE defaults to a pitch bend range of +/- 48 semitones. I need to match the pitch bend range of the FTP which is +/- 24 semitones. But the FTP doesn't seem to be able to tell the receiver (sound source) what its pitch bend range should be.

Quoting the MPE spec:

When a receiver receives an MPE Configuration Message, it must set the Master Pitch Bend Sensitivity to ±2 semitones, and the Pitch Bend Sensitivity of the Member Channels to ±48 semitones. The values may then be changed using Registered Parameter Number [RPN] 0, in accordance with the MIDI 1.0 Specification.

Because the Zone Pitch Bend Sensitivity is controllable independently from that of the Member Channels, setting them is accomplished as follows:

•Master Pitch Bend Sensitivity is set by sending RPN 0 to the Master Channel.

•Pitch Bend Sensitivity on the Member Channels is set by sending RPN 0 to every Member Channel individually.

Channels within the same Zone are not permitted to have different Pitch Bend Sensitivity values. A receiver must apply the last Pitch Bend Sensitivity message received on any Member Channel to all Member Channels in the Zone. To set the Pitch Bend Sensitivity of Member Channels, we recommend that the Pitch Bend Sensitivity message be sent individually to every Member Channel to improve compatibility with all MIDI devices.The use of RPN 0 presents the option of supplying a less significant byte (LSB), for conveying the microtonal fractions of Pitch Bend Sensitivity. It is recommended that MPE devices use an integer number of semitones for the range and either transmit the LSB as zero, or not transmit it at all so that the receiver infers zero. MPE devices can still choose to respond to 14-bit Pitch Bend Sensitivity messages for compatibility with other equipment.

Can I send this message using the GT10?

If so, can someone here please tell me how to format the message using the GT Editor?

You'll need to add these actions somewhere (a macro, button or preset):

CC Toggle #101 off:None on:0
CC Toggle #100 off:None on:0
CC Toggle #6 off:None on:2

To select +/- 2 semitones

You'll need to add these actions somewhere (a macro, button or preset):

CC Toggle #6 off:None on:2

To select +/- 2 semitones

Thanks very much for the reply.

So if I need a range of 24 semitones to match the FTP to the target's member channels, I'd need to use this set of actions:

CC Toggle #6 off:None on:24

Is that correct?

Back