Can you compare Overture and Full English?

Mike K

I’m mulling over picking up one of these nice midi distortion units so I’d dig knowing their differences? And what the thinking was with the new pedal?

Thanks!

We've been so busy with the release that I forgot to post information here!

I'll have to keep it short for now, but in summary:

- Both pedals use the same technology - 100% analog signal path with digital control
- The Overture is based around the Tube Screamer architecture, where the Full English is based around the Marshall pedals: Bluesbreaker, Guv'nor, etc. The overdrive modes on each pedal are a combination of sources: some are made to sound like the originals, some are made to sound like boutique clones of the originals, and some are our own ideas
- The Overture has a pre-boost section that allows you to hit the overdrive circuit harder
- The Full English has a 3-band post EQ

So, it really depends on what style of overdrives you like. The Overture is more classic sounding, compressed with mid emphasis (although that varies from mode to mode). The Full English is more open and transparent overall (but again, varying from mode to mode). A very quick guideline is that I like single coils with the Overture, and the Overture is better in front of an already gainy amp. The Full English loves humbuckers, and does better in front of a cleaner amp. It can get more gainy and aggressive than the Overture. This is an over-simplified view, but a good starting point for deciding.

Please let me know if you have any other questions! Demo videos are coming along slower than I'd like, but we will definitely have more coming soon.

And to answer your last question - I felt that doing a second pedal with a completely different set of sounds made sense. This other family of overdrives is kind of the opposite of the first one we tackled. Plus, adding the EQ seemed like a fun option.

Last edited:
Thanks alot for the great info Ron!

I still like a bit of grit from the vintage amp itself. Even with my so called clean sound. But I realize that many players today use "purely clean" stereo or mono rigs and then have their pedals and processors creating their all sounds. That means they can go direct in the PA and hopefully still maintain their same sonics.

But, I play better when I smell those vaccuum tubes a-cookin! And so the Overture might be the best choice for me currently.

Back