Can't get bank select and get preset names commands to work with FM3 [SOLVED]

wire_twerp

Hi there

I need a little help please.

I'm using two high quality 5 pin midi cables to connect direct to the FM3 from the PBC.

I have the FM3 set up as a device with MSB, flat numbering, max presets 512, max PC 128, PC offset to 1 (I tried to upload the RJS file but the browser applet keeps telling me the file is empty, which it isn't).

For example, I am trying to select preset 002 (of 512) using an IA Test button (see page 1) and also recall the same on the PBC. I would have expected that to get to the first FM3 bank (which would be Bank Zero?), one would use CC#32, off=none and on = 0, followed by the relevant PC command (=1). For the FM3, this assumption seems to be correct.

So, when I execute this command, although it correctly selects Preset 2 on the FM3, it selects Preset 514 (not 002) on the PBC! Thus, I cannot access presets 1-128 in conjunction with the FM3 when using the PBC.

Furthermore, if I use the Bank UP/Bank DOWN buttons, I cannot get below Bank 9 (on the PBC display), although this does allow me to access Preset 1 on the PBC but not on the FM3 - it will not let me go lower than FM3 Preset 7.

Secondly, I cannot get the PBC to read the Preset Names on the FM3 no matter what I do.

I do not know what it is happening here and I would be grateful for some help. Thank you.

Further update to the Get Preset Names problem, something is happening, because the text in the presets whose names I want are blanked out but the text is not replaced by the FM3 preset names...I am completely flummoxed!

As an aside, should the PBC be also able to read scene names (as opposed to numbers) now?

Ok, first thing - are you using the latest firmware on the PBC (4.7.0)? If not, make sure you update for proceeding.

Regarding preset selection, bank MSB is CC#0 (32 is bank LSB). If you switch which CC you're using, it should start working correctly.

If your bank buttons are not accessing the full range of banks, have a look at the Min and Max parameters on the buttons. You can set them to a specific range of banks, or set them both to 1 to remove limits on them.

Regarding Get Preset Names, double check that the FM3 is actually set up as a Fractal FM3 in the devices tab. (And make sure that everything including the FM3 has the latest firmware)

Yes, the PBC does read scene names from Axe-Fx III, FM3 and FM9.

Thank you for the advice. I will try this out.

Are there any particular types of text (Letters or symbols, such as parantheses) that prevent the reading process?

Everything is up to date in terms of firmware/software. I can get the bank commands to work now but had to load a "fresh start" file.

FM3 is set up as a Fractal device in the devices tab.

No progress on the preset names however. I'm getting nothing from the FM3.

Puzzling. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Another update. My PBC will read the names IF (and only if) the "create song" option is selected - this is not my preferred option, however.

Is this the default setting or is it possible to just load preset and scene names.

I appreciate the help; thank you.

Try switching back to bank and preset mode (set Setlist to None), then running the Get Preset Names process again.

I'm sorry but I don't know how to do that.

EDIT: I think I found it in the GLOBAL tabs menu - is this right?

Seems to be working OK now. The setlist command was key I think but I also had to start from a fresh default-settings "file".

Thanks.

Back