CC Action on Preset Change

i feel like I've seen this covered before but for the life of me can't find it. If I change the parameters of my timeline patch on my PBC preset Via CC action to say up the mix. How do I get the patch to go back to its previous state when I go to another preset?

If you're using preset actions, you have to send a different CC in all of your other presets to change the value back.

For that reason, I don't recommend using preset actions for that purpose. It's much better to use an IA button. Even if it's on a button page you don't access on the PBC, it will send its messages if Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change are turned on, and Max Page is set to be equal to or greater than the page number.

For example, create an IA button on page 5, turn on Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change. Have the button send the correct CCs to adjust the mix, with the On value set to the higher mix value, and the Off value set to the normal mix value. On the desired preset(s), program the button to turn on. It will send the high mix value on those presets and will send the normal mix value on all other presets.

If you're using preset actions, you have to send a different CC in all of your other presets to change the value back.

For that reason, I don't recommend using preset actions for that purpose. It's much better to use an IA button. Even if it's on a button page you don't access on the PBC, it will send its messages if Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change are turned on, and Max Page is set to be equal to or greater than the page number.

For example, create an IA button on page 5, turn on Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change. Have the button send the correct CCs to adjust the mix, with the On value set to the higher mix value, and the Off value set to the normal mix value. On the desired preset(s), program the button to turn on. It will send the high mix value on those presets and will send the normal mix value on all other presets.

I found this thread and followed these same instructions, but mine won't seem to actually send changes to the pedal per preset. Anything else I'm doing wrong? Just a simple bypass/engage on a Source Audio Nemesis. If I go to the editor and use my IA button to bypass on one preset and engage on another, it won't do it. Same story if I navigate to the page and do it on the unit itself and then store; the button state is saved (red for off and green for on) but the pedal isn't actually going off or on. When I just press the IA button, I can see the unit respond, but it doesn't actually save the state of the device, just the LED. Does that make any sense?

I forgot to mention one other setting: check the Devices tab and make sure that Send CCs on Preset Change is turned on for that device.

I took your file, and programmed the bypass button on page 5 to turn off on preset 2. I don't have a Nemesis here, but when switching from preset 1, to preset 2, to preset 3 it sent the correct CC messages each time.

Are you changing presets at the same time you're bypassing/not bypassing? Some pedals can't handle MIDI commands right after a program change. Mostly older ones, but I haven't used the Nemesis, so I don't know what it can or can't do.

Okay, I've reread this thread half a dozen times, and I guess I still don't understand. My use case is this: I have a Jackson Audio Broken Arrow on which I can turn on "Boost" using a CC number (there are no presets and therefore no PCs). I want to turn the boost on for a (mastermind) preset. But once I turn it on, it stays on even when I go to another preset. I need to turn it back off again, and ideally that would happen automatically the next time I choose another preset. So obviously, preset actions don't work for this. I'm trying to do what you're describing by adding an IA button on the preset's local button page that has "Send on preset change" and "Update state on preset change" checked, with the CC to enable the boost as an IA action (with off value 0 and on value 127). When I hit the preset button, nothing happens. I have "Send CCs on preset change" enable for this device, and I know the MIDI stuff works cause I have buttons on other pages that work (no send or update on preset change on those).

As a sidebar, having "on preset leave" actions would be a really nice enhancement.

Okay, still need help. Using the technique there, turning everything on via an IA button (as opposed to a preset action) works, but things (boost and drive on both Broken Arrow and Golden Boy) don't turn off when I change presets. I've got the "off" value set to 0, which should mean "bypass." Am I missing something?Screen Shot.png

If you press this button multiple times, does the pedal turn on and off as expected?

Do you have other buttons that are programmed to send the same CCs? If so, they all send their CCs when you change presets, so you could have conflicts.

I have other buttons that send CCs but I do not have Send or Update on preset checked on them (but I will double check). Clicking multiple times doesn't work either.

Ok, if repeated button presses don't produce the right result, then that's the core issue we need to look at before debugging presets. That button looks like it's set up correctly to me, so I have to wonder if there's an issue in the pedal.

I recommend deleting all actions from the button except the Drive CC and see if you can get it to turn the drive side of the pedal on and off reliably.

Oh, I misunderstood what you said. You want me to push the CCs button repeatedly. I thought you meant the preset button. I will have to figure out how to switch to and from a local button page.

As a side note, I made a page specifically for doing MIDI stuff with those pedals (turn on and off etc.) and everything there works as expected. The only thing that maybe could be an issue with the pedal is if it doesn't like getting multiple CCs at once (I'm not sure I tried that on the other page).

Oh, I misunderstood what you said. You want me to push the CCs button repeatedly. I thought you meant the preset button. I will have to figure out how to switch to and from a local button page.

You'll need to create Page button or an IA button with a System / Page action. A local button page is always page #16

As a side note, I made a page specifically for doing MIDI stuff with those pedals (turn on and off etc.) and everything there works as expected. The only thing that maybe could be an issue with the pedal is if it doesn't like getting multiple CCs at once (I'm not sure I tried that on the other page).

Yes, that's what I wanted to check. Some pedals don't handle getting CCs right after receiving a PC, or can't handle messages coming in at maximum speed.

I should also note though that my "on" button is sending multiple PCs (at the very least both the "Drive on" and "Boost on" are working)

I should also note though that my "on" button is sending multiple PCs (at the very least both the "Drive on" and "Boost on" are working)
Those are CCs, right? In any case, I still recommend trying with just one action, just to narrow it down. I suspect that where we're headed is asking Jackson Audio why the pedal isn't bypassing when a CC value of 0 is received, and if we have a test case with only one CC being sent, it will likely reduce the amount of questions they'll have to ask us.

Back