CC Messages for Lexicon PCM80

JamminPA

I've added a Lexicon PCM80 for my PBC6x and just noodling around on the PCM80 presets, the sound is huge and amazing. I'm somewhat familiar with basic midi. I've had/have effects pedals that required PC's and it seems pretty simple to program. I currently have a Source Audio EQ2 on my board and I've had zero issues. I have read in numerous forums that sending PC's for the PCM80 is not ideal because the load time is slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter for a PBC6x presets... and that CC messages would be better suited because it pretty much loads instantaneously.

Because the PCM80 is not in the drop down list in the RJM editor, the CC's have to be typed in. This is where I am stuck. There must be some fundamental information I am missing about CC's because I have no clue what # to type in, in order to have a luscious PCM80 reverb come on when I step on a PBC 6x preset.

I am still learning as much as I can about the functionality of the PCM80 because to me, it is a very complex piece of gear, but the effects are worth the headache. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I've looked through the manual and saw the preset #'s however, I don't think the RJM editor will allow one to type in 0.4 or 2.6 to assign to a PBC preset. I tried and it didn't work. I've since learned that CC's are essentially adjustments to PC's which better facilitates being able to bounce from preset to preset on the PBC, because it loads faster than a PC. I've got some homework to do because on top of trying to figure out how to program the PBC to recieve CC messages from the Lexicon PCM80, I also need to learn about the PCM80 to ensure I have it configured properly to communicate with the PBC and any type of adjustments that need to be made. I wish there were detailed "how to" videos on YouTube.

Unfortunately, due to the PCM80's age, its MIDI implementation is quite difficult to work with, even by MIDI standards. I had a look through the manual and can report a few things...

First thing, that "0.4" preset number format needs to be divided into bank and PC number.

In the Devices tab, set parameters as follows:

MIDI Channel: whatever channel is set on the PCM80
MIDI Port: MIDI Out
PC Offset: 0
Max PC: 49
Bank Type: MSB
Flat Numbering: Off
# of presets: 200

Now, when you select PCM80 presets in the Presets tab, you'll see a bank number box and a PC number box. If you want to access preset 2.6, type in bank number 2, preset 6.

CCs are more difficult, I'm sorry to say. There are no preassigned CC numbers, you have to assign them yourself. The PCM80 manual is not terribly clear on how this works. Let's say you want to adjust the effect mix of the current preset. You have to first choose a CC number. It will accept any number from 1-119. Let's say you choose CC#1. In the PCM80, there has to be some way to assign CC#1 to control effect mix - I just can't find how it's done in the manual.

Once that's figured out, on the Mastermind, you can add a PCM80/ CC Toggle #1 message to a button or preset. Value 0 is the minimum and value 127 is the maximum. If you're trying to fake presets using CC messages to set parameters, you're going to have to experiment with different values to see which value produces the desired result.

You can repeat this for each parameter, just be sure to assign a different CC to each parameter.

That's about as far as I can get without having an actual PCM80 here to play with.

Wow!! Thank you for all of that information. Looks like I may need to reconsider getting a different rack mount multi effects unit. That just seems like way too much work and is clearly beyond my scope.

I'm finally trying to get my PCM80 connected with my LT as well. Thanks @rjmmusic for the Bank settings tip, I'm going to try that. I live mostly in in the "registers", which are the non-factory presets. So had to guess which PC command connected to, say, user register R 0.1. Selecting Bank 4 and then preset # will hopefully be easier.

Agreed, the Lexicon manual is not so obvious - don't think it even uses the term CC. I believe the Patching section is where its sort of covered - selecting Patch 0-9, setting parameter destination, setting controller source, and mapping min/max parameter values to 0 and 127 - but I'm still struggling on getting it to communicate.

And I definitely don't want to go into Sysex unless absolutely necessary. Civilization has come too far..

Back