Chaining power and data between 2 MMGTs?

Hey again everyone,

I have been happily using my MMGT 16 and 10 for a couple of years now, and have so far been able to fit all of my needs in each unit, using one at a time for different bands that I play in.

Now I'm entertaining the possibility of using both on stage at the same time. I currently power my MMGT with the RJM midi combiner/power adapter and running a single 7 pin plug to it. Is it possible to chain power to another MMGT from it, via a MIDI cable, DC cable, or at all? Also, is it possible to run a single 7 pin connector out the MIDI out of the GT16 into the 10 and still retain full functionality?

I'm happy to do whatever is necessary, but really prefer to keep my cable count down on stage as much as possible.

Thanks!

Using them at the same time is no problem. Make sure both units have the same settings, then turn on Remote Mode on both units. When connected together, they will sync up. Pressing a button on one will make the same change on the other unit.

It's trickier when using two GTs that are not the same model. The top two rows of the 16 will sync with the 10. The third row will not sync, except for a few special cases (preset buttons in the third row will still affect both controllers, for example).

Due to the large amount of current the GT draws, we don't allow chaining of power, however. You'll need to power the 2nd GT with its own power supply.

This wouldn't be a remote/cloned type thing, but rather an extension board with some other options for me to avoid paging over. A GT 22 may be in the future, but right now my main pedalboard is built around a 16 and a 22 will not fit.

It sounds like the best way is to get another phantom adapter and 7 pin cable.

This wouldn't be a remote/cloned type thing, but rather an extension board with some other options for me to avoid paging over. A GT 22 may be in the future, but right now my main pedalboard is built around a 16 and a 22 will not fit.

It sounds like the best way is to get another phantom adapter and 7 pin cable.
I see. You could either connect the second GT to the input of the first and turn on MIDI merge to combine the outputs of the two, or use an external merge box. In either case, the phantom power box would have to be in between the merger and the second GT.

I have a MioXM in my rack, so it would be cleaner to run another phantom/merge box back there and then just run one 7 pin out to the second GT. Thank you for the help!

Back