Changing Channel on the Fractal FM3

Robert Payne

Hi Ron, I'm trying to change the channel in the fractal blocks from the PBC/6x and I'm having trouble. According to the FM3 Manual changing channels require a value to be added, channels A,B,C,D are values 0,1,2,3 respectively. So, on the FM3 I've assigned the block to a CC, which turns on and off from the IA switch on the PBC/6x, but any time I change the value, the channel in the block doesn't change. Any ideas? thanks!

You're better off setting up the FM3 as an Axe-Fx III in the Devices tab. Then, you can use the built in CC assignments. On a button, you can assign a CC for, say, the Delay block. By default, it will set up values 0 and 127, which turn the block on and off. Values 1, 2, 3 and 4 select channels A, B, C and D respectively.

So the button should be IA and the CC, to say 10. and then the On value is 1 (channel A) and then off is what value?

Depends on what you want it to do. You could, for example, set it up to switch between channels A and B. That would have on value 2 and off value 1. Or, maybe turn on a block and select channel A when the button is turned on and turn off the block when the button is turned off. That would be:

CC Toggle #10 off:0 on:127
CC Toggle #10 off:None on:1

First one controls whether the block is on or off, second selects channel.

Make sure Direct Send PC/CC is turned on in the Devices tab - otherwise, multiple CCs with the same number sent from the same button won't work.

Hi Ron, this isn't quite working the way I thought, maybe I still don't have it right. The FM3 has two options to assign CC# one is the "channel" and the other is "bypass." I've tried the same CC# as you suggest here, and also a different CC#. Neither one work in a way I'm thinking it should. Basically, as an IA, turn the pedal on, turn the pedal off, then recalled on preset. In some instances, if I select the button it finds the right channel but isn't recalled in the preset. in other instances, it turns on the wrong channel or bypasses it entirely. I'm sure I have it setup wrong. Any ideas?

The Mastermind ignores the CC settings in the FM3, you have to use the Mastermind's numbers. When you do this, edit a button in the editor, and assign a CC to it by name. That will choose the CC number for you. For example, if I assign Delay 1 to a button in the editor, I get this action:

FM3: Delay 1 / CC Toggle #70 off:0 on:127

You can then add the second action to it to select channel.

FM3: Delay 1 / CC Toggle #70 off:None on:1

The FM3 though seems to require a CC# to be set specifically to a block. in two locations, one marked "channel" the other marked "bypass". Are you saying the PBC 6x already has this capability?

Yes, there's a special 3rd party interface Fractal has that bypasses the built in CC numbers entirely. The CC numbers specified in the FM3 are completely ignored.

Got it, so far, I've been able to turn on and off blocks using standard CC#. so I need to set up the FM3 as an FM3 device? as opposed to now, I have it setup as a generic.

Back