Click Stopper Question

jcshirke

Hi,

I'm a little concerned about the clicking that apparently occurs during switching of the MEG. Does it occur during program changes only? Or is there clicking even when turning loops on/off via CC? I ask because one way around the clicking (other than using the Click Stopper function) may be to use CC changes to turn loops on/off as needed instead of having separate program changes for all possible configurations of on/off settings I might need. But if the clicking occurs during CC on/off changes, too, then my theory goes right out the window.

The Click Stopper function seems like a great idea in theory, but I fear that muting the audio, even if just for an instant, would be just as noticeable as a click. Yes? No? Maybe?

Fyi, I'm looking at the MEG as a modern replacement for the discontinued GRX4, which I already own and use on one of my pedalboards. I haven't tested the GRX4 extensively enough yet to see if I hear any clicking, but maybe it's inherent in its design also?

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

Jeff

The click stopper is completely inaudible. I've been using the (big) Effect Gizmo since its very first release (I had it preordered 6 weeks before they shipped) and have never had any issues with it. The human ear cannot detect sounds quicker than about 7ms, and the click stopper cuts the signal for only a couple of ms. Plus the ear detects noises much more readily than silences.

I had a GRX4 for a couple of years, and FWIW I could definitely hear that clicking. It was still superior to things like the GCX though.

Any switcher with relays will click, unless there's some circuit to reduce it. I find that the click disappears in most normal playing situations, it's just too quiet compared to the guitar signal. The Click Stopper is much quieter of course, although there is a very small dropout I can hear (maybe because I designed it and know it's there!) Give it a try and use whichever works best for you!

Thanks a lot to both of you for the replies. I think the MEG is going to suit my needs very well. I just need to find one. Sweetwater seems to be out of them.

Back