Controlling Strymon Iridium with PBC 10

Sotele

Is there a way to select the Iridium presets using the PBC 10? My midi setup thus far is PBC 10 to an H9 to a Timeline to a Big Sky back to the PBC 10. I'd love to get the Iridium in that loop, but it looks like it can only accept midi in...

If you use a Chase Bliss or Disaster Area MIDI Box, you can connect it to both the Iridium and also use the MIDI Thru port to go back to the PBC.

Thanks--just ordered a chase bliss.
I've got it hooked up, and I think it's working, thanks for the suggestion!

Is there a way to label and identify the various presets I'd like to add within the Mastermind Editor software (i.e. preset 1=clean vox; preset=deluxe reverb, etc.)?

Also...what should the midi output mode on the Iridium be? I'm running it after an H9, Timeline, Big Sky, [Iridium], then back to the PBC.

Unfortunately not, there's no way to name presets for each individual device.

Iridium's MIDI output should be set to thru.

If you use a Chase Bliss or Disaster Area MIDI Box, you can connect it to both the Iridium and also use the MIDI Thru port to go back to the PBC.
I’m also wanting to do this with my 6x. So would I just need the chase bliss midi box and would I need a certain cable for the iridium? I have a collider and terraform connected midi now.

I’m also wanting to do this with my 6x. So would I just need the chase bliss midi box and would I need a certain cable for the iridium? I have a collider and terraform connected midi now.

Yes, the MIDIbox plus a TRS cable to connect box to Iridium

I managed to get the PBC to work with my Iridium by connecting a simple 5-pin-midi-to-TRS cable however, this only worked for a direct connection from the PBC's midi-out port to the Iridium. This solution failed when I attached the 5-pin-midi-to-TRS cable to the midi-through port on my Eventide H9. When putting the H9 in the loop, the Iridium failed to respond to any/all PC or CC messages.

This confuses me because I know the H9's midi-through port is working. I set up another midi device connected to the midi-through port and had no issues controlling the second down-stream device.

I assume the correct solution is to get a midi box either from Disaster Area or Empress but I'd love to understand why.

I managed to get the PBC to work with my Iridium by connecting a simple 5-pin-midi-to-TRS cable however, this only worked for a direct connection from the PBC's midi-out port to the Iridium. This solution failed when I attached the 5-pin-midi-to-TRS cable to the midi-through port on my Eventide H9. When putting the H9 in the loop, the Iridium failed to respond to any/all PC or CC messages...

Even weirder is that I can't seem to get the simple 5-pin-midi-to-TRS cable solution to work when I set up bi-directional midi on the PBC and set the Iridium, in the device setup, to use the midi-in port and connect the cable there. The simple 5-pin-midi-to-TRS cable only seems to work when connected solely to PBC's midi out port.

Even weirder is that I can't seem to get the simple 5-pin-midi-to-TRS cable solution to work when I set up bi-directional midi on the PBC and set the Iridium, in the device setup, to use the midi-in port and connect the cable there. The simple 5-pin-midi-to-TRS cable only seems to work when connected solely to PBC's midi out port.

The cable needs to be wired differently to work with the MIDI in port. The wires that are on pins 4 and 5 need to be moved to pins 1 and 3 respectively.

I managed to get the PBC to work with my Iridium by connecting a simple 5-pin-midi-to-TRS cable however, this only worked for a direct connection from the PBC's midi-out port to the Iridium. This solution failed when I attached the 5-pin-midi-to-TRS cable to the midi-through port on my Eventide H9. When putting the H9 in the loop, the Iridium failed to respond to any/all PC or CC messages.

This confuses me because I know the H9's midi-through port is working. I set up another midi device connected to the midi-through port and had no issues controlling the second down-stream device.

I assume the correct solution is to get a midi box either from Disaster Area or Empress but I'd love to understand why.
The midi-TRS cable needs to incorporate the opto-coupler that is a part of a standard midi input circuit. Strymon have released a circuit diagram that shows how their own cable works:
I've created a small midi-TRS box that is based on this circuit for my board and that works well with the 6x setting Iridium preset.

If you wanted to dive a little deeper, this is a great explanation of how midi circuits work - https://www.notesandvolts.com/2015/02/midi-and-arduino-build-midi-input.html

I have a couple of things to add:

- Make sure the H9's MIDI output is set to Thru
- Make sure you're not also using USB on the H9 at the same time
- And, I've seen a surprising amount of Eventide pedals that had bad MIDI thrus. It's been a while since I've seen the problem, but you never know. I recommend testing it with another pedal that has standard MIDI to make sure the thru is working.

If I we’re to snag the Midi Box 4, anyone know what dip switch settings I would use for the Iridium?
hint - the dip switches are two positions. I have one and set port 1 with dip up and port 2 with dip down. I then saw which one worked and made the rest match. Took about a minute and works like a charm.

Back