Crazy MIDI Issue

shoelesscraig

I have a specific issue with MIDI that only happens occasionally. Most of the time (like 95% of the time) my board is powered up and runs perfectly. However, that other 5%, I'm having a strange MIDI issue. I power up the board, everything boots up, and then ANY preset change I make on the PBC causes my BigSky decay to get changed. Doesn't matter what song/setlist/or preset I choose, it will command the BigSky decay (CC17) to be set low...specifically this last time, it was being told to go to 20 (between 0-127). I'm not sure if that "20" is always what is sent when it happens, but this last time it was.

Ron, I know you're going to ask...I know that it's doing the above because I hooked up MIDI-OX while the issue was happening and can see it. However, there are no buttons on any page I have that perform that command, so it's not that. Cycling the power on the PBC causes it to go away, and it will not return again until it's powered down and back up (and even then, the chances of it happening are slim).

I did discover today that when the issue is happening, and I make ANY change in the editor and "write changes to PBC" it will cause the issue to go away. If I had a button somewhere that was doing it, cycling power or "writing changes" wouldn't cause it to go away.

Any ideas? I'll post my file just in case someone cares to look.

Attachments

• RJM Mastermind PCB 20180905.rjs
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Check to make sure the MIDI clock on the Big Sky is turned off (reminder: it's a per-preset setting). Last night I was messing around with someone else's presets and they had MIDI clock turned on, and it was causing Pre-Delay to match my tap-tempo times despite me not sending any tap tempo signals on it's MIDI channel. Looking at the manual, it looks like a similar thing can happen to decay on certain reverb machines.

Check to make sure the MIDI clock on the Big Sky is turned off (reminder: it's a per-preset setting). Last night I was messing around with someone else's presets and they had MIDI clock turned on, and it was causing Pre-Delay to match my tap-tempo times despite me not sending any tap tempo signals on it's MIDI channel. Looking at the manual, it looks like a similar thing can happen to decay on certain reverb machines.

I appreciate the reply. I'll check it just to be sure....however, powering down and back up wouldn't fix it if that was the case. Plus, I don't use tempos from the PBC to any of my pedals except in rare case (almost never...literally I've done it on like 1 setlist a year ago). On the times it has done it, the PBC is not sending any tempos out. And using MIDI-OX I can tell that it's literally sending out a command on CC17 which is the decay time for the BS. Again, I'll double check though...I'm pretty sure I looked at all of those settings in Nixie a few weeks ago though and everything is set to OFF for the Midiclock on every preset.

Back