custom midi messages?

kurtr2

hi Ron,

is it possible for the MMGT to transmit custom midi messages? i need to be able to send a bank message followed by a preset message to control a TC Electronics Voice Live Touch.

thanks,
Kurt

You can use the Sysex feature to do that - the messages don't have to be Sysex, they can be anything. You'll have to type them in using hexadecimal numbers, though.

If you only need preset and bank, you don't even need custom messages. You can specify preset and bank in the PC messages section of the Presets page. Or, if you need to send the messages from an IA button, send CC#0 for bank and then send a PC message. (Alternately, it could be CC#32 that specifies bank - manufacturers differ on that).

also, how do i write a custom message using sysex? it only lets me type numbers and only two of them. i need to send this:

B1 20 02
C1 01 00

thanks,
Kurt

In the devices, page, look at your device entry and set Bank Support to MSB, LSB or MSB:LSB (this depends on your device, not sure which one the Voice Live uses - the manual doesn't say). If the hex numbers you posted are for the Voice Line, you would use LSB as your setting in the GT. Once you do that, you'll be able to specify bank numbers in the PC Messages box for the device the presets page.

For the Sysex message, just type those numbers in: B1 20 02 C1 01 00 in one of the entries on the Sysex page.

Thanks for the support Ron!

Is it possible to have a button that switches between two presets, say bank 2 preset 1, and band 2 preset 2? in other words a preset cycle button that is always locked to the same two presets for a device?

I´m confused about the preset buttons. I want 4 preset buttons that correspond to the Axe-FX and are green and two that correspond to the Voice Touch Live that are aqua. but i can't seem to put certain preset buttons where i want them, they change their name and are always somehow linked together...

I would rather have an IA button that cycles through PC´s but it won't let me choose a bank number when its an IA button.

thanks,
kurt

Yes, preset index is very important!

One thing to keep in mind is that preset buttons control presets on the GT. Each preset on the GT can select presets on all of your MIDI devices. If you just want to switch presets on one device, you're probably better off using an IA button. Bank select can be done with a specific CC message.

For your example, you would create an IA button that has the following actions:
Voice Live / CC Toggle #32 off:2 on:2
Voice Live / PC off:1 on:2

The CC Toggle is the bank select message, and the PC / preset follows it.

Back