Difference between 'Hold' and 'Alt. Preset' functions

rlhinc

I'm a little unclear about 'Hold' vs. 'Alt. Preset' functions. Let's say I was trying to create two different uses for a Preset button. Unless I'm mistaken, I can create the '2nd function' for that Preset button by making a 'Hold' function OR making an 'Alt Preset.' Why would I choose one way over the other?

I also assume that if I'm trying to create an additional function for a 'non-Preset' button (like IA or others), then I have no choice, and must create a 'hold' function, because an 'Alt. Preset' is ONLY available for Preset butttons.

Is this all correct?

Thanks!

A hold function is a general purpose setting that you can add to any button. If the button is pressed quickly, it will activate the primary function. If the button is held, it will activate the hold function instead. Hold functions are like a second button, in a way - they can be configured to do anything a primary function can. For example, you could have a button that turns on a loop when you press it, or moves to the next button page when you hold it. You can combine any two functions this way.

An alternate preset is a feature that is specific to preset buttons. If you press a preset button, it'll select a certain preset. Press it again, and it'll select an alternate preset. That's all it can do, it couldn't do the loop / page up example I have above, for example.

Hold functions have almost all of the advantages, with only a couple of exceptions. Hold functions require you to hold the button for a certain period of time, so they're slower to activate. And, alternate presets will change as you change banks. So preset 1 could have a different alternate preset than preset 6 does, even if those presets are mapped to the same button. Hold functions are tied to a specific button, so they don't change when you change banks.

Back