Difference between reliability of CCs sent by IA vs Preset Actions

ZachSelindh

Hey all!

I'm using my Mastermind PBC to control my HX Stomp via MIDI. I have a reverb pedal in the effects loop of my Stomp, and I'm using CC#30 to turn the loop on and off using IA buttons. This features work beautifully... except in one situation:

If I send a PC to change the patch on my Stomp while ALSO sending a CC#30 to turn on the reverb loop, the chance that the CC will work, and actually activate the effects loop on the newly recalled preset, is low. Normally I would chalk this up to the Stomp's ability to process PCs and CCs simultaneously. EXCEPT that if I create a Preset Action for that preset, which then takes responsibility for sending the CC message, the effects loop turns on reliably even in tandem with a PC message.

This leads me to the hypothesis that there is a timing difference in the processing of the PBC's button actions and preset actions, and that the timing is enough to make a difference in controlling a device like my HX Stomp that is controlled with simultaneous PCs and CCs.

So my question is this: Does anyone know of a workaround for making sure that my CC messages can be sent by my buttons, but with the same timing as they would be using Preset Actions? I love that I was able to get it to work in the first place, but I'd rather have the state of my buttons be a reliable source of truth for controlling my devices rather than relying on a feature that is best accessed through the Editor and can't be changed on the fly.

Thanks in advance!

There shouldn't be any significant difference between the two. Do you also have a button (or buttons) that sends CC#30? If you have more than one, one could be interfering with the other.

For posterity: I did fix this issue!

For clarification, my "Reverb" page is full of IA Cycle buttons in which the first state is "Off" (set IA 13 to "Off", which controls the effects loop in my Hx Stomp with CC#30), and the 2nd, 3rd and 4th states turn IA 13 "On" and cycle between different PCs.

So, Ron's point above was salient. In any given preset, 7/8 of those buttons will be sending IA13 "Off."

In my case, turning on "Direct Send PC/CCs" in the Device menu for my Hx Stomp was the solution. I've been able to remove my redundant Preset Actions and my Stomp is processing CCs and PCs simultaneously.

Thanks! Hope this helps someone.

Back