Different Presets for Different Guitars?

Chrysalis99

Just wondering if I’m looking at this correctly. Do people make different presets for different guitars? Obviously pedals sound different when connected to humbuckers vs single coil vs piezo, etc and I’m thinking I need to create different preset pages and buttons for each guitar. Is this what everyone does or is there another way to accomplish this?

Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers…

Probably depends on how precise you want to be. I tend to use low-output pickups (even humbuckers), so granted my needs might be different. But I use two solutions:

- I use an EQ pedal with presets that I can quickly toggle for different guitars. I control that independent of my PBC presets so that I can use the same presets regardless of what guitar I’m playing.
- I have a GigRig 321 at the front of my board, so I have three separate inputs for three different guitar/pickup types. Each has its own input gain control so I can balance it to help with how my gain pedals react to higher or lower output pickups.

You could do different presets like you mentioned, but the downside of that is that you have to keep track of them all and do more programmatic changes when you switch instruments. It could be especially painful in a live setting unless you come up with a quick way to change your preset list or setlist on the fly (not saying that’s impossible, just more complicated).

The 321 is a more elegant solution than what I had in mind. I was envisioning the nightmare of live setting with pages and pages of presets and getting frustrated trying to keep everything straight. Using a pedal for some EQ is also not something I thought of. What a relief, from terror to “ok, I got this“ in one post. Thanks!

Back