DIY Insert Cables?

middle_pickup

I'm trying to decide the best way for me to assemble my insert cables. I have seen some custom shops like Pro Audio LA use Mogami 2930 2 channel snake cable to make insert/Y-cables. Is this a good method? Doesn't the cable have two conductors plus a ground? In this case how would you wire the cables?

If I were to do this myself, would I just ignore one of the conductors in each of the cables? Redco sells the cable for relatively cheap I think. They have a picture of the cable, and its specs. I noticed that the gauge of wire is smaller than Mogami's instrument cable. Is snake cable okay to use for instrument level connections, or will it hurt tone?

Does anyone have a better idea of how to make custom length insert cables? I want the best solution possible, but I need the cables to fit my custom length.

I use Mogami 2528 - it's basically two coax cables together in a zip cord arrangement. It's nice because you can separate the two halves as much or as little as you like and you don't have to remove the outer jacket. Dave Friedman wired our PBC demo board using 2528, even using half of a 2528 cable for the mono connections.

It gets a little tight inside the connector, but it's definitely possible to connect both shields to the connector shield.

Never used 2930, so I can't comment on that.

I use Mogami 2528 - it's basically two coax cables together in a zip cord arrangement. It's nice because you can separate the two halves as much or as little as you like and you don't have to remove the outer jacket. Dave Friedman wired our PBC demo board using 2528, even using half of a 2528 cable for the mono connections.

It gets a little tight inside the connector, but it's definitely possible to connect both shields to the connector shield.

Never used 2930, so I can't comment on that.

I have used that Mogami zip chord before. It's works okay, but I experienced a log of cross talk between the two channels. I was hoping to try a cable with more shielding. Would this help eliminate that?

It's surprising that you'd get crosstalk - there's a lot of shield, and a relatively large amount of space in between the two conductors. I don't know if the other stuff would work better or not.

I've had great luck with G&H Right Angle and Straight plugs. With the TRS G&H, you can easily fit two Monorail TS cables to make your Y-Connector. No crosstalk issues with Monorail cable, but I've also used the Mogami 2528 as Ron mentioned and it's fantastic too. I chose to do my latest board iteration on the PBC with all Monorail cable and G&H plugs for the stereo Y-Connector as well as the ring-disconnect and mono-stereo that Ron very generously outlined in his Stereo Configuration blog.

Absolutely no crosstalk using the 2528, I have used it extensively on multiple builds for both insert and regular mono connections - mostly for the very practical diameter when wiring up big looper boards with plenty of cabling to manage.

I have looked at the specific cable that had the crosstalk problems. I think maybe my soldering job wasn't the best, and that caused the problem. I decided to use the 2528 again.

Hi Members (who needs a "shrink" when we have this forum to solve our problems),

I've just soldered the last FX Box on my pedal board (Strymon Big Sky). Up to this point, I've tested every pedal (MIDI, guitar signal, etc...) with minimal glitches (which have been corrected).

However I've found odd behavior when using the Big Sky. I'm sure it's a builder error somewhere (me). But, I'd like to pose my question to all y'all (before I tear it down and inspect / replace insert cables).

The Big Sky cuts-out whenever I scroll-through it's respective presets (when connected to my Loop 10 stereo on the PBC ... meaning it loses all guitar signal on all Big Sky presets except the first one. Do you think there's a possibility that I've got it's Insert Cable(s) soldered incorrectly? Meaning I've got tip/ring/sleeve crossed on my insert cable(s)). Just curious on your thoughts prior to pulling four or five pedals to access it. I'm guessing that's the problem ... but, as always, the best insight on these kinds of problems can be found here. This is a DIY pedal board and chances are it's my soldering screw-up.

Prior to tearing it up, I'm curious if anybody has encountered this kind of behavior when "insert cables" have been soldered incorrectly in the past?

What I've done so far with regard to debugging is this; I've connected the Big Sky's guitar signal directly to my amp (only pedal), leaving the MIDI connections so I can scroll through the presets using the PBC and all's fine. Big Sky is good-to-go.

I've checked everything in the PBC editor (at least to my level of proficiency ... which isn't much yet) and all looks fine, nothing visibly quirky.

Appreciate your valuable time and expertise, thanks. I'll be gone for the remainder of the day and I'll check this thread when I return this evening to start pulling pedals, if needed. (I guess no NFL today).

UPDATE: JUST NOTICED THERE'S AN NEWER VERSION OF THE PBC EDITOR AND FIRMWARE ... I WILL UPDATE MY SOFTWARE PRIOR TO PULLING PEDALS THIS AFTERNOON.

And, as always, if there's another thread addressing this issue, please re-direct me, thanks.

Tim

Attachments

• PAINT AVATAR.jpg
    PAINT AVATAR.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
An error in wiring should affect all presets, so I would suspect it's not the cable. But, to make sure, try connecting the pedal in mono with standard cables and see if it works any better. If it does, then it probably is the cables. If it still doesn't work, then there's an issue elsewhere, probably in programming.

An error in wiring should affect all presets, so I would suspect it's not the cable. But, to make sure, try connecting the pedal in mono with standard cables and see if it works any better. If it does, then it probably is the cables. If it still doesn't work, then there's an issue elsewhere, probably in programming.

Ron ... thanks ... like you suggested, process of elimination, and ... it was definitely a User Programming Error (me) ... I was sending a Midi instruction to my Y-not (Channel designation issue) ... which was turning off the Y-Not Output A ... therefore, no guitar signal. It's under the board ... so I didn't see that it was off and never looked.

I'm going down to the TAT Shop later today to get "STUPID" inked across my forehead! Thanks for your patience and expertise ... I am very grateful!

Back