Do I need a multibox on my board?

Daniel Kim

hello.

Please tell me what you think if my board needs a multibox.

There are a total of 9 midi pedals on my board.

pbc6x, quartz, synesthesia, h90, mobius, timeline, bigsky

and two tonex pedals

I am trying to build a new board. Should I use a multibox?

Those all have midi thru, so a midi multibox isn’t absolutely required. You might try without it. If it works without one, great. If you have any issues, the midi multibox might help to ensure each pedal (or most of them) gets a direct, clean midi signal from the PBC.

Those all have midi thru, so a midi multibox isn’t absolutely required. You might try without it. If it works without one, great. If you have any issues, the midi multibox might help to ensure each pedal (or most of them) gets a direct, clean midi signal from the PBC.
Thank you for kindly letting us know.

Each time the MIDI signal goes in a device and out a MIDI Thru port, it will degrade a bit. The recommendation is to have no more than 4 devices chained together after a MIDI controller. That said, people do exceed that limit all the time. Even 9 pedals could work, but there's no guarantee. You could try it like Josh suggests above, but test it well to make sure that all of the pedals respond when they're supposed to.

Each time the MIDI signal goes in a device and out a MIDI Thru port, it will degrade a bit. The recommendation is to have no more than 4 devices chained together after a MIDI controller. That said, people do exceed that limit all the time. Even 9 pedals could work, but there's no guarantee. You could try it like Josh suggests above, but test it well to make sure that all of the pedals respond when they're supposed to.
I ordered a multibox just in case. Are RJM stickers included in the multibox?

Sorry, I thought you were talking generally about midi splitters. For the record, I do use midi splitters/mergers. I didn’t even know this RJM product existed. If this had been available when I built my last board it would definitely be on it!

Sorry, I thought you were talking generally about midi splitters. For the record, I do use midi splitters/mergers. I didn’t even know this RJM product existed. If this had been available when I built my last board it would definitely be on it!
It's new, released just a couple months ago.

Back