Double Tap and Hold Button Features

gitapik

Hi guys. I was watching this video

and was particularly struck by his ability to make his buttons multi-functional, both with double tap and hold.

But he doesn't show how he's been able to program these changes.

I'm noticing that he has more MIDI devices than my single Volante. All the other pedals on my board are standard stomps. Wondering if this makes a difference.

I've been going through the RJM video tutorials and others, as well. So far haven't had any luck. Would greatly appreciate a link, if at all possible. It would be fine, indeed, if I could put more than 4 presets on my Songs. A basic concept is to have button 1 function as a dirt pedal and then double tap to add the delay.

Thanks

K...I've made progress (for anyone looking for similar info):

Multi-Tap is same as Multi-Step. So far I've viewed two tutorials on this. Have to watch them in this order:

The Hold function video is here:

I'm going to have to watch them again to fully wrap my head around the steps...especially the Multi-Step, as the tutorial is done on the GT. I know the programs are the same; but the layout is different. I'm sure it'll get easier once I sit down with my 6x . Will post when/if I come up with more.

Ah I see. I haven't watched these (been meaning to!), but I was thrown off by the idea of multi- or double-tap. But yes, I use cycle IAs as well as some hold functions and have found both to be useful. For example, I have one page that has a cycle button for each of my main signal chain sections - one steps through clean, boost, light drive and heavy drive, another steps through my 4 most commonly used reverbs, etc. And hold functions are useful for things like triggering heavy delay oscillation momentarily.

I found it helpful to just experiment with this stuff...

IA Cycle
Create a new page, select a button and edit it. On the Button Edit page, select Mode: Normal, Type: IA, then check the box that says IA Cycle. Then it will give you fields at the bottom to set the parameters for 4 different states.

Hold
Create a new page, select a button and edit it. On the Button Edit page, select Mode: Hold. You'll get a second tab where you can select all the parameters for when you hold it (the original tab will still define behavior for a normal tap on the button).

Yes, there's more to it than this but it will get you moving in the right direction. IAs can be tricky as they can update the state of other buttons (even on other button pages) and/or presets, and there's also a group feature that enables you to group certain things together such that only one of the group can be on at once (useful for something like when you want your other drive loops to turn off when you turn one on). And lots more. But getting in there and trying it out and solving your problems as you go is a good way to make progress (as long as you save your stable version separately in case you need to revert back to something that works).

Definite learning curve, here...but well worth the effort. And very good point about keeping a backup of the stable version. Thanks for the tip!

Back