Dunlop X Mini as Expression HEADS UP

Goodwood Audio

The Dunlop X Mini has an AUX jack which can be configured for Tuner Send or Expression.

As standard it's set up for expression, however there is also a dip switch inside that switches between 'TIP' and ' RING'. Out of the box it's in the 'TIP' position which causes the range to be concentrated to the last 15% of the sweep. Flick the switch to 'RING' and the treadle will have a normal and balanced range of control.

You may as well also take the opportunity to flip the base plate upside down. Velcro refuses too stick to the rubber pad, but sticks very well to the bare aluminium of the reverse side of the base plate.

After some quick testing, the Volume X Mini is a strong contender for the perfect expression pedal on a cramped board where space is a premium.

I definitely think flipping it the to ring position helped, but what should my taper settings be? When trying to control my Bloom's midiBoost with expression, I can't seem to get it go from green (minimum boost) to red (maximum boost).

For any pedal that has an expression output, taper should always be 0. You would only need taper when using a volume pedal connected to the volume pedal input and output.

Have you calibrated the pedal? If it can't reach the upper or lower limit, that's probably the problem.

yea it looks to be calibrated. I did a quick test with the nemesis and ventris last night and they seemed to be working when I take control the Mix. It's just the bloom that acts crazy with it. Not real sure what's going on with it. I'm sure it's something to do with the way they implemented MIDI though. But nevertheless, I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread, because before I flipped it to ring, 95% of sweep was on the heel side.

Back