Effect Gizmo

MuntedFunkster

Hi

Great forum, great gear Ron!! Im about to purchase an Effect Gizmo soon for the stereo rig ive been slowly building... I just have some questions (forgive my newbie dumbness! :) regarding the Tuner output on the effect Gizmo... Does this loop the guitar signal out through a tuner and then back into signal chain on the gizmo, or is it just a copied "split" of the guitar signal that routes out to the tuner only?. Im just trying to determine if I should get a high quality rack tuner rather than a cheaper one.

Also, I will be hooking a eventide H3000 harmonizer through the Gizmo.. the H3000's are stereo units and run off XLR balanced (+4dB) outputs. Has anyone used a H3000 with an Effects Gizmo yet? I will be making the cables myself out of Canare cabling/switchcraft connectors etc, however is it possible to connect the two balanced XLR outputs from the H3000 to a stereo TRS connector for the Gizmo? My signal flow will be as follows:

Guitar --> Sennheiser EW300 Wireless Unit---> DimeWah---> Marshall JMP-1 Preamp (dBX compressor in stereo loop) -----> GMajor/H3000/GMajor2 (switched in by the Gizmo)---> Marshall 9200 stereo power amp ---> 2 x Peavey XXX Cabinets

Im also looking at getting the line mixer later on to run a parallel delay from the Gmajor.. I've heard talk of phasing problems that reduce tone with the parallel setups? anyone experienced this or are the line mixers the best option for spillover delays?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
MuFu

Welcome!

The tuner out is just connected to the buffer output. So, you have to have the buffer in the signal path, but the buffer prevents the tuner from screwing with your tone.

You can get an H3000 hooked up to an Effect Gizmo. I've done it before. You have to make some funky custom cables, especially if you are running TRS stereo on the Effect Gizmo, but it's definitely possible. Check out the knowledgebase on the Eventide site. They have an article describing how to convert balanced to unbalanced outputs for each Eventide device - search for unbalanced cable and you'll find it. When making these cables, you'll need some pretty small diameter cable to get both cables into the back of the TRS jack - I used Mogami stereo mic cable.

Running delays in parallel isn't a problem, especially if you use the killdry function on the G-Major. The phasing (actually flanging or comb filtering) happens when your effected signal is a few milliseconds delayed from the dry signal. With delay, you're adding even more delay time to any latency the processor might have so it still sounds like delay. However, if you try it with non-time based effects you might hear unwanted flange-y sounds.

Great stuff, thanks for the reply Ron. I've decided to pull the trigger on an Effect Gizmo and Mini Line Mixer for this rig. I will order the gear first and when it arrives I will make the cables then. Thanks for you help Ron.

Cheers
MuFu

Back