Enable hold function for preset?

tandrewnichols

Let's say you've got a button that's set up to be a "Hold" button, with a regular click action and something else on hold. Can you enable that hold action on a preset? I don't see a way to select the hold function in the buttons tab of the presets editor - clicking a button enables the regular click action only. I ask not necessarily because I need this functionality (though I guess it could be helpful), but because the "Hold" panel still has checkboxes for "Send on Preset Change" and "Update on Preset Change" and I'm wondering if those ever have any affect (trying to debug something, so maybe messages are getting sent that I'm not expecting).

You should be able to have a hold function on any button, including preset buttons. The Hold Function tab doesn't show up until you change Button Mode from Normal to Hold.

Hold functions are considered by the system to be separate buttons. Send/Update on Preset Change still apply to hold functions, so your hold function "buttons" will definitely send messages if those settings are turned on.

I think I didn't explain that well. Let's say you're making a new preset. You go to the presets tab, configure the audio loops, set any midi PCs for devices, and then you can enable specific buttons for additional things for when that preset is selected. Like bypassing certain devices, or what have you. In the editor, I don't see a way to enable the hold function of button. Like as an example, on the loops page, you enable specific loops by clicking them, but you can't enable the buffers or parallel status there, you have to go the audio tab to handle that. Unless it's somewhere I haven't looked.

Incidentally, I figured out my issue separately, so this is now just a learning opportunity conversation for me. :)

I think I didn't explain that well. Let's say you're making a new preset. You go to the presets tab, configure the audio loops, set any midi PCs for devices, and then you can enable specific buttons for additional things for when that preset is selected. Like bypassing certain devices, or what have you. In the editor, I don't see a way to enable the hold function of button. Like as an example, on the loops page, you enable specific loops by clicking them, but you can't enable the buffers or parallel status there, you have to go the audio tab to handle that. Unless it's somewhere I haven't looked.

Incidentally, I figured out my issue separately, so this is now just a learning opportunity conversation for me. :)
As long as Update on Preset Change is turned on for the hold function, you can turn the hold function on or off for a preset by holding Shift while clicking the button in the Presets tab. A normal click affects the normal function, a shift-click affects the hold function.

Back