EVH 5150 III 100w - cables

GreatGreen

Hey, I saw on the products page that there are two versions of cables that go with the 5150 III 100w. By the way, I have a 100w Stealth head if that changes anything. I'm assuming it doesn't, but I'm mentioning it just in case.

Here's the EVH to 2x1/4-inch cable:
https://shop.rjmmusic.com/evh-5150iii-to-2x1-4-inch-interface-cable/

Will this cable will work with any standard momentary switch? If so, can this cable control all three channels PLUS the effects loop? Or does it only control the switching between the 3 channels and leave the effects loop always on, like the other MIDI-to-EVH cable does? Also, is the effects loop controlled with momentary switching just like the channels or is it latching?

Here's the standard interface cable:
https://shop.rjmmusic.com/evh-5150iii-100-watt-model-interface-cable/

Does this cable only work with RJM products, or can any MIDI device be configured to work with this cable? Do currently existing RJM products need firmware updates to be able to accommodate or is the functionality built in?

Both cables will switch only channels. The 5150III has a problem where it will not always register a channel change if you are also changing the effect loop at the same exact time. The first cable will work with any momentary switch, but that switch can't have any indicator LEDs on it. The second cable only works in conjunction with our products, it won't work with anything else. No firmware update is needed on our products. The very first Amp Gizmo (black face with big gray buttons) probably won't work with this cable, but all other Amp Gizmo models will.

Ok, thanks for the reply!

So just to be clear, the effects loop won't be switchable, but will always default to the ON setting?

Hey Ron, one more question if that's ok.

The EVH-to-2x1/4-inch cable looks like it starts with a 7-pin MIDI connector and then terminates to two 1/4-inch TRS ends.

How are these wired? Is one of the 1/4-inch TRS ends for channels 1 and 2, and the other cable for channel 3 with the remaining ring (or tip, whichever) left unused? Trying to plan for switching and this info would be insightful.

Hey Ron, one more question if that's ok.

The EVH-to-2x1/4-inch cable looks like it starts with a 7-pin MIDI connector and then terminates to two 1/4-inch TRS ends.

How are these wired? Is one of the 1/4-inch TRS ends for channels 1 and 2, and the other cable for channel 3 with the remaining ring (or tip, whichever) left unused? Trying to plan for switching and this info would be insightful.

Yes, that's correct.

Back