EVH 5153 with Nova system and amp gizmo

:evil:

I am going insane and do not understand what the problem is.... :evil:

Here`s my setup:

-5153>interface cable to Gizmo amp connection
-Amp Gizmo midi in to Nova midi out via 5 pin midi cable
-Nova set to send program change via channel 1, amp Gizmo setup to receive on channel 1 also and setup with boot up #8 then #7 for first 3 switches grouped and momentary. By the way, i tried every combination possible with the Gizmo.

The Gizmo changes all 3 channels perfectly, so i know the relays work good.

Now the fun part is that when i save the settings on a bank with 3 presets, only 1 and 3 will change, #2 does not do anything. If i can remember right, as last night i was going to break it all, it was preset 2 and 3 that where changing but not 1. Maybe not but i was going blue in the face. Maybe it was 1 and 3 the more i think about it.

I need help here, thanks a lot.

Chris

Do you have a computer with a MIDI interface? It would be helpful to see what MIDI messages the Nova System is sending.

rjmmusic said:
Do you have a computer with a MIDI interface? It would be helpful to see what MIDI messages the Nova System is sending.

I have an edirol interface, i`ll hook it up tonight and try it.

OK, figured something out.

Here is what i read:

TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT
Opened MIDI Input
Opened MIDI Output
0000CF12 1 2 C0 31 -- 1 --- PC: String Ens 2
0000DD20 1 2 C0 32 -- 1 --- PC: SynthStrings 1
0000E5D0 1 2 C0 30 -- 1 --- PC: String Ens 1
0000EAC8 1 2 C0 31 -- 1 --- PC: String Ens 2
00011A15 1 2 C0 30 -- 1 --- PC: String Ens 1
0001227A 1 2 C0 31 -- 1 --- PC: String Ens 2
00012F35 1 2 C0 32 -- 1 --- PC: SynthStrings 1

30 is switch 1
31 is switch 2
32 is switch 3

Thanks Ron,

Chris

Ok, that looks correct. When you say that switch 2 does not turn on, does that mean that the #2 light on the Amp Gizmo doesn't turn on, or that channel 2 on the amp doesn't activate?

rjmmusic said:
Ok, that looks correct. When you say that switch 2 does not turn on, does that mean that the #2 light on the Amp Gizmo doesn't turn on, or that channel 2 on the amp doesn't activate?

Nothing happens except the Nova goes to patch number 2, but amp stays put and amp Gizmo also. Pushing the amp Gizmo`s 1 2 3 buttons changes the amps channels flawlessly.

Bad midi cable? I guess not if it send the MIDI info...

Dunno what to think.

:?:

Did you try reprogramming preset #2 on the Mini Amp Gizmo? Select preset 2 on the Nova System, press switch 2 on the Gizmo to light it, hold the Write button on the Gizmo until the lights flash.

rjmmusic said:
Did you try reprogramming preset #2 on the Mini Amp Gizmo? Select preset 2 on the Nova System, press switch 2 on the Gizmo to light it, hold the Write button on the Gizmo until the lights flash.

I did that about 20 times to try and get it change with the preset, alas, no go. Maybe I could try it with the RG-16 and see if it switches with it, if it does, it would be the Gizmo, if not well it's the Nova.

What do you think?

Thanks again Ron,

Chris

Yes, trying the RG-16 would be helpful. Also, does it stay on channel 1 when switching from channel 1 to channel 2 AND stay on channel 3 when switching from channel 3 to channel 2?

rjmmusic said:
Yes, trying the RG-16 would be helpful. Also, does it stay on channel 1 when switching from channel 1 to channel 2 AND stay on channel 3 when switching from channel 3 to channel 2?

Yes it does exactly that, it stays put on whatever channel it is currently. I'll try this tonight or tomorrow.

Chris

Also, are you trying to switch the amp's effect loop with the Amp Gizmo? Some of our 5153 interface cables are wired to allow this, but switching the effect loop and channel of the 5153 at the same time can cause the channel to not switch. Because of that issue, we've stopped wiring the cables to allow the effect loop to switch (keeping the loop on all the time).

rjmmusic said:
Also, are you trying to switch the amp's effect loop with the Amp Gizmo? Some of our 5153 interface cables are wired to allow this, but switching the effect loop and channel of the 5153 at the same time can cause the channel to not switch. Because of that issue, we've stopped wiring the cables to allow the effect loop to switch (keeping the loop on all the time).

I don't think so, I was always under the impression that it was not possible to toggle the loop, I have only the 123 lights on the Gizmo operating. Loop would be 4 I guess?

I did not have the chance to try the rg16 yet, I will do that today, if I can find the time as I have to bring the head over to my rack, two different rigs.

Thanks again mighty debugger guru!!!!!

Ok, tried it with the RG-16 and it works flawlessly. I hooked up the Gizmo and tried it again with the same power source as the RG-16, just to make sure it wasn`t power related, you never know. And it does not work, does the same thing. Depending on the sequence i save the patches, like if i save #3 first and then try#2 and then #1, when i change patches now #1 goes to channel 2 instead of one, and patch 2 does nothing like before, patch 3 works OK.

?????

Is there a way to reset the Gizmo memory?

I`m confused big time.

Thanks for trying to help me on this.

Chris

The only way to factory reset an Amp Gizmo is using a computer & MIDI interface - if you have this kind of setup, I can let you know how it's done.

The symptoms have me baffled - according to the MIDI dump, it should work. If you can send in the Amp Gizmo, we can have a look at it.

rjmmusic said:
The only way to factory reset an Amp Gizmo is using a computer & MIDI interface - if you have this kind of setup, I can let you know how it's done.

The symptoms have me baffled - according to the MIDI dump, it should work. If you can send in the Amp Gizmo, we can have a look at it.

Yes I do have a midi interface, it's the Cakewalk UM2-G. Just let me know what to do.

if is does not work, I can send it I no problem.

Thanks a lot,

Chris

Just to let anybody know that Ron sent me a brand new board for my Gizmo and it now work perfectly. Remember that this was a used Gizmo I bought. Didn't charge me a cent.

A big thank you to Ron and his team for there awesomeness!!!!!

Chris

Back