Expression Pedal Calibration Issue

violindude51

Hi,

Just got my pedalboard re-done with the Mastermind LT and a Mission Engineering expression pedal, but discovered that the rolloff of the pedal is not smooth from 0-127 when connected to the MMLT. Instead there is an audible jump/pop between about 0-60 with nothing in between. I have tried calibrating the expression pedal in setup mode on the Mastermind and it does not eliminate the problem. I have now tried connecting 3 different expression pedals with different TRS cables and all have this issue, although the size of the "jump" varies from about 20-70 depending on which pedal I use.

I'm using the Mastermind to control my Kemper Profiler, and the expression pedal is set to control volume/wah. Unfortunately with there being an audible pop each time I roll the pedal on/off this feature is basically unusable, and for the time being I have had to switch to connecting the expression pedal directly to the KPA (it has no problems in this configuration and the rolloff is smooth).

Expression pedal is a Mission Engineering EP1-KP, although I have also tried a Dunlop Volume X and a cheap Pro-Line version, and all three have exhibited some form of the same symptom only when connected thru the Mastermind. From my understanding the pot on the Kemper expression pedal is 10k, the same value that RJM recommends for the Mastermind, so I don't think a mismatch is the problem.

Anyone have suggestions on how I should troubleshoot, or experienced a similar issue when running an expression pedal with the LT?

Spot on! Fortunately I know my way around a soldering iron, so I simply flipped the polarity on one of my TRS cables and the issue no longer exists.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm brand new to the RJM family and I have to say your customer service on these forums is phenomenal!

Back