Expression Pedal Preset Switch?

shoelesscraig

Ron,
Question regarding exp pedal preset switching. (I know how to do this using buttons on the PBC, I'm just wondering if I can do it another way).

Let's say I'm on a song and that song has 4 presets. If I'm on preset 1-3, regardless of which one, I'd like a quick way to switch to preset 4 and then back to whichever one I WAS on before. I know I can make the preset #4 button do this using the "alternate" as "previous". But I'm wondering if I can do it with the expression pedal position switch? I know how to make the PBC jump to preset #x when activating the exp pedal switch....but can I make it go back to the previous preset when I DEactivate the exp pedal switch?

You can do it with the help of macros. Create a macro that has one action: System / Preset preset:previous. Check the Force State to: checkbox, then select "On".

On the button, put these actions on it:

System / Preset preset:4
System / Macro off:x on:None (x is the number of the macro you created in the previous step)

Turn off all checkboxes except Update on Preset Change, which should be on. Normally System / Preset actions only activate when a button is turned on. The macro is used to take the "button off" event and convert it to a "button on" so that the System / Preset previous action will run.

I've just tried this....didn't work. (Not saying I messed it up, but I'm pretty sure I had it right).

On a side note, I'm thinking I wasn't super clear in my original post. I'm trying to do this with the expression pedal POSITION switch, not the toe switch. So as far as I know, the "clear all checkboxes" doesn't apply. Also, maybe I'm thinking too much into this...but if I'm on preset 1, change to preset 4, doesn't the "return to previous" logic have to be in the Preset 4 section?

On a side note, changing anything to do with the Force state of a macro causes my editor to lock up when I attempt to "write changes" to the PBC. Writing the whole settings file works, but only doing the changes locks it up. I have to close the editor and start over every time...I'm using editor 4.7.

That depends on whether you have different expression pedal settings for presets 1 and 4. If you're using global settings, then you can do it all in the global settings. But, if you have overrides for presets 1 and 4, then yes, you'll need to set up position switch actions on both. The preset 4 action would be set on all presets except preset 4, and the previous preset action would be set on preset 4.

I'll look into the Force State issue...

Nevermind...I figured it out. I was making it harder than it needed to be.

Just in case someone else wants to know...I set the expression pedal POSITION switch action for presets 1-3 to be "System/Preset: 4". Then on the POSITION switch setting for Preset 4, I made that action "System/Preset: Previous"....but the trick is I had to make sure to check the "Invert Position Switch" checkbox. That way when I'm on preset 1, 2, or 3 and I rock the pedal forward, it takes me to Preset 4...as soon as I get to 4, the pedal is still rocked forward...I stay there as long as I want and when I rock the pedal backwards it takes me back to 1, 2 or 3...whichever one I was on previously. Works like a charm! No macros needed...

Back