Expression Pedal Taper Tweak

lm85

Hey Ron,
Thanks for the account approval.
I want to try tweaking my expression pedal taper on the GT to "accelerate" towards the end of its travel to make volume swells a feel a bit more natural.
Im using the Mission RJM model and a SoundSculpture Volcano to do a remote volume thing.taper.png
If the current behaviour is the linear, red line. what im kinda aiming for is the blue line.
How would I adjust the X Y taper controls to move more in this direction?

Cheers,
LM

The x and y parameters indicate the point at which line changes its slope. (It's not a curve, just a line that changes slope at one point, which is what most volume pedals actually do). From your drawing I would estimate X=70, Y=90.

This always involves a lot of trial and error, I'm afraid, but the two main guidelines are:

1). The X parameter indicates at what point the pedal value starts to accelerate or decelerate. 0 is the heel down side, 100 is the toe down side. Most volume pedals seem to make this change at the 60-70% point, sometimes as much as 80%.
2). The Y parameter indicates whether the value accelerates or decelerates at that point. If Y=X, that means there's no change. If Y > X, the value will accelerate at that point. If Y < X, the value will decelerate at that point. The more difference there is between Y and X, the more extreme the slope change will be. Normally, people use this to remove the logarithmic taper of a volume pedal, and they would set Y less than X. But, in your case you want to create a logarithmic taper, so you would want Y greater than X.

Thanks Ron! I will give this a try this evening.
Probably worth adding a blurb about this in the next manual you do! I did have a bit of a search around for the info before joining the forum and asking.
Thanks again!

Maybe my graph wasn't an accurate description of what I wanted, but your description has helped alot, turns out what I wanted was something like X85, Y20.

with X70, Y90 the pedal was basically an on/off switch for my particular application, I actually went back and rechecked my midi settings thinking i had buggered something else up in the process, as the Volcano basically just didnt pass any signal unless the pedal was at full travel, but this is all assuming the volcano actually behaves in a linear fashion. It felt like X70, Y90 behaved like the green line, and I think what ive settled on is represented by the purple line.

Regardless, Im fast approaching getting it spot on, thank you for your help!

taper.png

Last edited:
so, after a break from playing I revisited this. the settings that seem to feel and work best (for me anyway) is actually X=60, Y=2
I was using X85, Y=20 for a while, and it was a little bit aggressive, but it wasn't unusable.

I'm happy to see you've added the Volcano to the list of devices on the GT.

Peace.

Back