expression pedal

Victor Vos

Hi,
after having tried Line 6.. I am back with th Fractal family, now with the amazing Axe-Fx III, controlled by GT 10.
I have to make my settings completely new from scratch, both axefx and Mastermind.
There are quite a few differences from the axefx II where I come from..
It does not seem to recognise the expression pedal From the GT. I have it calibrated in the GT settings. Am I missing something?
Then, I used to have a button that changed the function of the pedal from exp1 to exp 2, vol 1, vol 2 etc. I have no idea how I did that..

Anyone tips?

update: I now have the expression pedal working (had to assign it in the axefx) but not yet figured out how to change its destination with a button...
Now I can't get it to read the tempo from the axefx...
Getting closer though..

There are a few ways to select expression pedal settings. This video shows them:
Expression Pedals

There's a "Calculate tempo from flashes" setting in global settings that will attempt to calculate a system tempo from the tempo flash messages sent from the Axe-Fx.

The GT keeps overruling the axefx in tempo and doesn't read tempo From axefx...
I have midi clock on auto and bidirectional MIDI on..
Does it have to do with sysex??

If you're using MIDI clock, you don't need or want to turn on Calculate Tempo From Flashes.

Make sure that the Axe-Fx is sending MIDI Clock. I think the setting is Send Realtime Sysex. Make sure it's on. Also, set MIDI Clock to Receive on the GT, Auto isn't going to be reliable with a bidirectional connection between two MIDI clock sources.

This ^^^ is the correct way to to it. I have an AxeFX III and an MMGT16. Works perfectly. If you want support, ping me and we can jump onto a zoom call and walk through the settings.

Thank you! I think I must have tried this most obvious settings but will try again tonight when I'm home again. (I think I could be half a day ahead here in Europe so by that time it might be middle of the night for you..)
I had no problems with the AxeFx II I do remember that I did not use calculate from flashes... On the AxeFx III I can't find any setting about which clock to use... Only send sysex on/off...
Also need to mention that I noticed that the MIDI-in LED on the AxeFx is constantly blinking...

I am with the GT now. Settings are actually exactly as described...
As long as I don't touch my tap tempo button the tempo of the Axefx is kept but the flash with tempo's don't flash. The midi-in LED on the AxeFx is on continue. As soon as I tap a tempo flash starts flashing and GT takes over tempo. Across all presets remains like I tapped. If I turn off the Axefx tempo will keep flashing.
When I change presets on the AxeFx it goes wild and starts switching presets...
Ignore incoming PC messages is on.
?

Make sure that you don't have MIDI PC Mapping turned on in the Axe-Fx. Also, try turning off Poll State and see if that helps.

Also, make sure you have MIDI Receive Channel set to None on the GT. Some people assume that they should set it to the Axe-Fx's channel, but doing that only causes problems.

maybe something in the connection with the MIDI box? I could try connecting with two cables but I have the box extremely built in my flight case and it would take quite some effort to try it..
Actually to me it looks like a setting in the MT overruling the tempo...
Maybe, in your time, you can have a look??

Attachments

• vix.rjs
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
As long as I don't touch my tap tempo button the tempo of the Axefx is kept but the flash with tempo's don't flash. The midi-in LED on the AxeFx is on continue. As soon as I tap a tempo flash starts flashing and GT takes over tempo. Across all presets remains like I tapped. If I turn off the Axefx tempo will keep flashing.

This is the behavior I would expect, is it different than what you would want? Once MIDI clock is running, it becomes the master clock, overriding everything else.

Regarding the preset problem, have you tried turning off Poll State and MIDI PC Mapping?

I want the AXfx to determine the tempo, unless I tap a different tempo... (until the next preset)
I think I have it working like that now, I have set the clock to off.
However, the 'show tempo' shows the tempo tapped on the MT, not the tempo it receives from the Axefx.
I had a page with two buttons flashing on tempo and they flashed in different tempo's...
Could this be about the 'update on preset' state?
MIDI mapping is off, Poll state I can't find..

Ok, you're right that MIDI clock should be off in that case. Using CC messages for tap tempo will not take over the Axe-Fx's tempo at all times like MIDI clock would.

Tempo buttons should have Update on Preset Change turned off, which will make them view the tempo from the Axe-Fx instead of the GT's local tempo.

FYI, Poll State is in the Devices tab in the GT editor.

Back