EXPRESSION PEDALS

leoder

Hi Ron, first post here as a newby... I see from earlier in this thread that it's possible to switch the polarity on the Mission Engineering EP1 exp. pedal to function correctly with the GT & PBC - I have a MMLT/7 so assume it's the same ? Would this be possible though with the LT and the SP2 Exp. Pedal to function both as a switch and exp. and/or other possibilities ie. with the SP2/two channels ? And if so, would both outputs require the polarity reversal - or rather, what would be required if it is feasible ? I hope that makes sense ! Many thanks, Alan

Last edited:

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the LT would work the same way once you've reversed the polarity.

An SP2 would work ans an expression pedal, but not a switch, the switch is used for a different purpose on that pedal. You could use the second output of the pedal to connect to a different device in addition to the LT, but it won't have any additional capabilities on the LT compared to an SP1.

Dbow

The problem is that Boss kinda tricked us with that one. Their reverse switch doesn't reverse tip and ring, it reverses the 2nd output so that when one output goes up in value, the other one goes down.

Reversing tip and ring, via cable or modifying the pedal, will fix the polarity issue.
So I did the reverse cable solder and the Boss pedals are better but I'm still getting nearly all my signal from the top half of the pedal. They don't really do anything through the first half of throw. Any suggestions to fix this?

Thanks!

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
So I did the reverse cable solder and the Boss pedals are better but I'm still getting nearly all my signal from the top half of the pedal. They don't really do anything through the first half of throw. Any suggestions to fix this?

Thanks!

The cable should fix it., if it's wired correctly. Did you try calibrating the pedal? And, have you tried another expression pedal input on the GT?

Dbow

The cable should fix it., if it's wired correctly. Did you try calibrating the pedal? And, have you tried another expression pedal input on the GT?
I have other pedals that seem to work fine. I soldered the cables correctly to swap tip/ring and checked them carefully. Are there any settings on the GT to help compensate for this? I really, really wish I had installed these pedals before the return date.

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
I have other pedals that seem to work fine. I soldered the cables correctly to swap tip/ring and checked them carefully. Are there any settings on the GT to help compensate for this? I really, really wish I had installed these pedals before the return date.
There isn't any setting that could compensate for a reverse polarity pedal. However, if it was calibrated when it was inverted, then you definitely need to calibrate again once it's not inverted.

You're sure that you have the tip on one side connected to the ring on the other, and ring on one side connected to tip on the other? It's pretty much a physical impossibility that it would work the same way with both straight TRS and swapped cables.