External buttons going nuts

Declan

Hi all, I'm having a weird issue using an external dual switch with the PBC. I bought a Mosky Dual Switch recently and I wanted to basically use them as 2 extra buttons for the PBC. I originally had them setup to be a hold for the Big Sky and a Hold for the Timeline. The thing is that it worked as expected the first time and then the PBC went completely haywire. The Big Sky hold function kept on initiating itself and the ctl1 relay was clicking like crazy - I have this setup as a tap tempo out. The only way of fixing the issue was to turn off the external button features on the PBC, just plugging out the switch wasn't enough. Even doing a power cycle of the PBC didn't stop the relay. I really don't know what I am doing wrong as if I program the buttons of the PBC itself then it works completely fine. I was using a TRS cable as required. The other really weird thing is that I have a feeling that the PBC fried the Mosky Dual switch in some way as now it doesn't work at all, even with other devices it used to work with. This is my second Mosky Dual switch in a week to die on me when hooking it up to the PBC. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like that switch isn't compatible. It's probably a latching switch instead of a momentary switch. As for as the PBC is concerned, turning on a latching switch is the same as holding down the switch. The buttons start to repeat, and that's why you see those symptoms.

If the switch is wired per our recommendations, there isn't much in there that could fail. A faulty cable is more likely. If you have an ohmmeter, you could measure between the tip and sleeve and between the ring and sleeve on the switch's output. It should measure a very high resistance when the button is pressed, and nearly 0 ohms when the button is pressed.

The cable is fine too. I tried a few different cables and it happens with any. I really don’t know what’s happening.

Since you tested the cable. With just the cable connected, if the PBC doesn't show persistent problems. Try removing the control switch completely and momentarily shorting the TRS cable to mimic the switches. This will at least eliminate the switch box being the issue.

If the switch is wired per our recommendations, there isn't much in there that could fail. A faulty cable is more likely. If you have an ohmmeter, you could measure between the tip and sleeve and between the ring and sleeve on the switch's output. It should measure a very high resistance when the button is pressed, and nearly 0 ohms when the button is pressed.

Hi Ron,

I got a custom made 2 button switch done as per your schematic in the manual and this is doing the same thing. I don't know what I am doing wrong. The cables are fine. I basically have 2 extra buttons - one as a stop/clear for my BOSS looper which isn't working and another for my BigSky as a hold. The hold is working OK on one switch only. It's like the PBC is only recognizing one switch properly. If I reboot the PBC with a power cycle then when it is powering up it is sending the stop/clear command and is working then. If I swap the functions on the 2 external buttons then the stop/clear will work and the hold won't. Only one LED lights up on the external switch. Sometimes the other LED is flickering and it is sending the function of either external buttons at random. I have attached my config file to see if you can help. Thanks

Attachments

• PBC stopclear.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
It may be that one side of the external switch input isn't working. Where are you located?

Ok, plug a TRS cable into the external switch jack. Then, measure the voltage from the tip to the sleeve of the plug. Measure again, this time from ring to sleeve. They should both be around 1 volt, plus or minus 0.15 volts.

Ok, that's a hardware issue then. If you purchased from us or from an authorized dealer in the past few years, it will be covered under warranty. The nearest tech I know is in England, but if you know a competent electronics tech that's closer to you, I can give them the information needed to fix it. It's a fairly simple repair. We'll pay the tech costs if it's a warranty repair.

I got it directly from you about a year ago while I was in New York. I know some local techs if you could send me the information needed.

Back